How to filter by the Epic Link of parent

Philipp Gresek June 20, 2018

Hi,

i want to have a filter that gives me all issues with a specific epic link and all their sub-Tasks. Is there a possibility to filter by the parents epic link?

so a JQL query could look like this: "Epic Link" = epic OR parent.EpicLink = epic.

Or is there maybe another solution for this filter?

Thanks!

Philipp

4 answers

2 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Jeff Lovington May 2, 2020

I found the 'parentepic' field. 

not sure if this applies to what you're doing but for me:

using kanban board with swimlanes based on queries

made a swimlane for each epic: "Epic Link" = <epic's issueid> OR parentEpic = <epic's issueid>

This results in all the stories in an epic AND all the subtasks of the stories in the epic displaying in one swimlane

Viet Cao Hoai December 23, 2020

That field works for me. Thanks a lot.

Bernd Degen January 27, 2022

For me, too. Thanks!

Jaroslav Slavo Sumbal April 25, 2022

thanks :) now I don't have to update 25 subtasks one by one :) 

archana bhatt August 23, 2022

This solution works for me.

My JQL looks like this:

project="XYZ" and "Epic link" in (e1,e2,e3)  or parent in (e1,e2,e3) 

Issue1: Status!=done doesn't work, it displays done items too.

I am trying to use this query in the "Filter results" gadget 

and adding fields such as 

<<Epic name>> <<Epic Status>> <Issue type>> <<Key>> <<Description>> <<status>>

Issue 2 : Everything displays perfectly except <<Epic name>> and <<Epic status>>

How do I display these 2 fields ?

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 14, 2022

Hi @archana bhatt,

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

If you want to display the "Epic Name" of the parent issue, this should be able when adding the "Epic Link" field as column to your Filter Results gadget.

"Epic Status" is not available as far as I know.

If you are open to work with a Marketplace app, you could have a look at Dynamic Custom Fields for Jira. 

With our app you can created - as the name suggests - dynamic custom fields from existing issue data using Jira expressions.

We also offer a template for a "Parent Status" field, which updates automatically in the child issue, when the status of the parent issue is updated. So you don't need any technical background to be able to create that field. 

Once you've added the field to your issues, you can display it in your filter results gadget or use it for your issue filters.

dynamic-custom-fields-jira_parent-status2.png

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2018

This is an often asked question. A bit of searching in the community will give you the answer.

OOTB - No 

Scriptrunner option - "Epic Link"=XX-###) OR issueFunction in subtasksOf("\"Epic Link\"=XX-###"

JQL Tricks has the ability too 

and other addons i suspect

Shaun Grose April 5, 2019

Thanks Jack, is there no way in 'stock' Jira though? Our team is limited by corporate policy, so we can't get plugins without a mess of red tape and 18 pages of cost benefit analysis... Sigh

Like # people like this
Jeroen Vandeweghe May 2, 2019

Same here! 

Big company, red tape -> stock Jira solution please!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2020

none that I have found

Pier Nicolo Pinna April 24, 2020

Hey @Jack Brickey could you please explain more how to use the Script Runner JQL?

An example it would be great.

Thank you

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

Unfortunately I cannot as I am not using the addon. However, there are quite a number of threads that discuss this in the Community so you can use search to locate. Also, the documentation is actually quite good as well.

Pier Nicolo Pinna April 24, 2020

No problem,

Thanks for the documentation URL.

John OLeary January 14, 2022

We now have Advanced Roadmaps(formerly: Jira Portfolio) as part of migration from JIRA Server to JIRA Data Centre...Comes for free!!! It gives a hierarchical view of an Epic and it's children on a Gannt chart Plan. We've then created our own Master Epic Issue Type and made it the Parent of these Epics (rather than use an Epic as Parent) to render them in that hierarchy view nicely. We link them to equivalents in AHA! using the OOTB Integration and so far the data seems to be synching nicely and gives the long missing hierarchy view in one place in JIRA as AR allows for basing a plan off a Board and an assorted of field filters within to slice and dice your data as needed to show what's committed vs what's not. I haven't researched cost of this if not on JIRA DC but it's a decent option we got lucky on.

2 votes
vborodav November 18, 2020

Hi pals,

I've tried all the options suggested but non of them worked. So I've found the one that worked for me:

"Epic Link" = XXX-NNNN OR issueFunction in subtasksOf("Epic Link = 'XXX-NNNN'")

We have Jira 8.5 without any extra plugins.

rockynox February 15, 2021

Thanks !

It works with a slight change:

"Epic Link" = XXX-NNNN OR issueFunction in subtasksOf("'Epic Link' = 'XXX-NNNN'")
Like Josef Pavelec likes this
1 vote
Jira Beheer UU October 24, 2019

Actually, I found an out-of-the-box solution. I don't know if it's a recently added or overlooked functionality, but here you go: 

"Epic Link"=[epic] OR parent in childIssuesOf([epic])

Shaun Grose October 28, 2019

Hi Alice, which version are you running?

On 7.8 this does not work. 'childIssuesOf' comes back with "Unable to find JQL function 'childIssuesOf(xyz)'"

Not sure if this is perhaps a custom function that has been added to your instance, or maybe it only comes with newer versions?

Mirko December 16, 2019

In Jira 8.5 there does not seem to be 'childIssuesOf'

It is hard to imagine that there is no native solution for such a basic function... Isn't there any Jira developer here to solve issues like this?

Shaun Grose January 10, 2020

Hi @Mirko , unfortunately there isn't anything in the base Jira Server for this. It turns out that 'childIssuesOf' is a function provided by the ScriptRunner plugin. I was able to (after some time and effort) wrangle corporate red tape to get ScriptRunner added to our instance, and honestly it's pretty useful. But understandably frustrating that we need to pay for a plugin for this functionality.

Edit: Spelling

Felipe Cantagalli November 23, 2021

Thank you for the answer. It worked for our team!

Suggest an answer