How to export JIRA issues to Excel?

I read the manuals (of 6.4 and 7.3) and I'm supposed to find an option to export to Excel format. BUT I can't find it on my JIRA Software server 7.3 instance.
What goes wrong? Where is it? Should I use CSV only?

export.jpg

If it's gone: are there any recommended add-on?

Thanks

6 answers

Hi there,

this feature will soon be deprecated, but can still be reenabled by now using the following instructions (found here):

JIRA Server 7.2 instances
We removed the Excel export option in JIRA 7.2, as we've introduced a more robust, flexible exporter in the CSV export. We hope you find this more beneficial. We do plan on removing this functionality entirely, however in the meantime it can be unlocked with the following steps:

1. Stop JIRA.
  2. Locate the jira-config.properties file in the $JIRA_HOME directory. If the file does not exist, please proceed to create it.
  3. Open the file and add the below on a separate line:
    jira.export.excel.enabled=true
  4. Save this file.
  5. Restart JIRA.

Cheers.

Thorsten, you should be aware that "we've introduced a more robust, flexible exporter in the CSV export" is incorrect.

The CSV exporter is not robust or flexible, and the clear consensus from users is that it is not a viable replacement for the Excel export yet.   Until it meets the minimal functions that the Excel export does, I'd expect Atlassian to keep getting support calls to re-enable the working export.

Hey Nic, just to make this clear: I've only quoted and I'm completely on your side regarding my own personal opinion regarding this issue.

Cheers.

And the CSV export does not include the URL for quick linking back to the issue

0 vote

As for add-on recommendations, the Better Excel Plugin is not simply a replacement for the built-in and deprecated Excel export feature, but it comes with a ton of improvements!

Yes, and you have to spend a lot for it.

And it causes cluster outages because it chews up 50% heap.

0 vote

Till which Jira Version Excel Export can be re-enabled? We are currently using 7.5. Is it still possible there?

We have Jira version 7.6.1 - still are able to use the excel export function.

Yes, even 7.10-EAP has it.

Hello Team,

We have plan to upgrade JIRA with a latest version doing upgrade analysis for JIRA upgrade.

Now, we are using above workaround for JIRA v7.3.6 Export JIRA issues to Excel as mentioned by Thorsten Letschert.

But, if we are upgrading JIRA from v7.3.6 to v7.9.2 then please let us know still excel export functionality are working perfectly?

If not, please let us know the workaround for this export functionality for the latest JIRA version.

Thanks!

Hi Guys.. My apologies for instead of answering the question I am making a new ask : export to CSV is not reliable.

I am facing 2 issues :

1. When I click on export to CSV ( Current Columns)  it is not exporting all the columns selected and visible in filter tab.

2. When I click on export to HTML (Current Columns) it is not exporting all the columns selected and visible in filter tab and less columns which got exported via CSV..

Any Ideas?

Jack Brickey Community Champion Jun 20, 2018

What fields specifically are not exported? Some fields that show in the results are calculated and won’t export. 

In View : see - Full Content, its displaying the issues very clear. i want it like that. Is that possible to get it. May be in Word/Excel, no problem.

Plex Lucky Patcher Kodi

Yes, It is possible till 7.10.2 & working fine with the following steps:

1. Stop JIRA.
  2. Locate the jira-config.properties file in the $JIRA_HOME directory. If the file does not exist, please proceed to create it.
  3. Open the file and add the below on a separate line:
    jira.export.excel.enabled=true
  4. Save this file.
  5. Restart JIRA.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,254 views 10 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you