It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to export JIRA issues to Excel?

I read the manuals (of 6.4 and 7.3) and I'm supposed to find an option to export to Excel format. BUT I can't find it on my JIRA Software server 7.3 instance.
What goes wrong? Where is it? Should I use CSV only?

export.jpg

If it's gone: are there any recommended add-on?

Thanks

6 answers

1 accepted

Hi there,

this feature will soon be deprecated, but can still be reenabled by now using the following instructions (found here):

JIRA Server 7.2 instances
We removed the Excel export option in JIRA 7.2, as we've introduced a more robust, flexible exporter in the CSV export. We hope you find this more beneficial. We do plan on removing this functionality entirely, however in the meantime it can be unlocked with the following steps:

1. Stop JIRA.
  2. Locate the jira-config.properties file in the $JIRA_HOME directory. If the file does not exist, please proceed to create it.
  3. Open the file and add the below on a separate line:
    jira.export.excel.enabled=true
  4. Save this file.
  5. Restart JIRA.

Cheers.

Thorsten, you should be aware that "we've introduced a more robust, flexible exporter in the CSV export" is incorrect.

The CSV exporter is not robust or flexible, and the clear consensus from users is that it is not a viable replacement for the Excel export yet.   Until it meets the minimal functions that the Excel export does, I'd expect Atlassian to keep getting support calls to re-enable the working export.

Like 1 person likes this

Hey Nic, just to make this clear: I've only quoted and I'm completely on your side regarding my own personal opinion regarding this issue.

Cheers.

Like 1 person likes this

And the CSV export does not include the URL for quick linking back to the issue

Like 1 person likes this
6 votes

As for add-on recommendations, the Better Excel Plugin is not simply a replacement for the built-in and deprecated Excel export feature, but it comes with a ton of improvements!

Yes, and you have to spend a lot for it.

Like 1 person likes this

And it causes cluster outages because it chews up 50% heap.

There should not be a need to purchase any addons for functionality that came, and should come, with the product. Is this Atlassian's way of milking customers for more money? I'm sure they get a cut of every addon that's sold...

Like 4 people like this
Vera Han I'm New Here Mar 20, 2019

I agree with the people above.

I am pretty new to Jira, have only been using it for about 5 months as a product owner. I already have the feeling that a lot of you think it should be part of the core functionalities have to be purchased separately as an add-on. It is very frustrating to not even being able to export to excel directly. And I have not seen anybody from Atlassian to reply on this thread.

An export to Excel (well, XML that says "Hi, I'm a spreadsheet" anyway) used to be part of the core - it was removed in favour of the CSV export! 

A bad decision in my opinion, the CSV is (still) not ready to replace it. 

The Atlassian line seems to be that the CSV is good enough, and that you shouldn't really be exporting anyway, as your data is obsolete and dead as soon as you do (I do have more sympathy for that - most spreadsheets I run into are simply wrong)

Like 1 person likes this

Till which Jira Version Excel Export can be re-enabled? We are currently using 7.5. Is it still possible there?

We have Jira version 7.6.1 - still are able to use the excel export function.

Yes, even 7.10-EAP has it.

Hello Team,

We have plan to upgrade JIRA with a latest version doing upgrade analysis for JIRA upgrade.

Now, we are using above workaround for JIRA v7.3.6 Export JIRA issues to Excel as mentioned by Thorsten Letschert.

But, if we are upgrading JIRA from v7.3.6 to v7.9.2 then please let us know still excel export functionality are working perfectly?

If not, please let us know the workaround for this export functionality for the latest JIRA version.

Thanks!

Hi Guys.. My apologies for instead of answering the question I am making a new ask : export to CSV is not reliable.

I am facing 2 issues :

1. When I click on export to CSV ( Current Columns)  it is not exporting all the columns selected and visible in filter tab.

2. When I click on export to HTML (Current Columns) it is not exporting all the columns selected and visible in filter tab and less columns which got exported via CSV..

Any Ideas?

Jack Brickey Community Leader Jun 20, 2018

What fields specifically are not exported? Some fields that show in the results are calculated and won’t export. 

How can we include calculated field values in the export?

Jack Brickey Community Leader Aug 30, 2018

You cannot export but you could recalculate within excel from the values that are exported.

I found that you could get those fields value by exporting using Better Excel (All Fields), but it's a pain to remove all the unnecessary fields to keep just the few you need. Hoping for a better solution available..

Like 1 person likes this

Yes, It is possible till 7.10.2 & working fine with the following steps:

1. Stop JIRA.
  2. Locate the jira-config.properties file in the $JIRA_HOME directory. If the file does not exist, please proceed to create it.
  3. Open the file and add the below on a separate line:
    jira.export.excel.enabled=true
  4. Save this file.
  5. Restart JIRA.

Why can't I connect my export back to JIRA via SQL connection so all I have to do is refresh the spreadsheet, rather than have to continually do exports.  All my pivots and charts then have to be recreated every time.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published Feb 26, 2019 in Jira Software

How to prevent the propagation of unused project schemes, workflows & screens in Jira software

Atlassian ranks project attributes as the third most important factor impacting performance in the category of data. It’s not surprising, since project attributes are precisely the rules used to ma...

1,121 views 1 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you