How to exclude users from Migrate Cloud Site tool?

rodney e April 26, 2023

Hello, I need to migrate 1 Work Management project to a different cloud org but don't want to include the users. Is there a way to exclude or minimize the number of users when bringing over 1 project?

Would removing access to the project for all my users except for myself accomplish this?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Himanshi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2023

Hello @rodney e , 

Welcome to the community!

Looks like you are using the "Migration cloud site" feature of Jira cloud to migrate the project from one instance to other. 

With Migration there are only two options available to migrate the user that doesnot include "Not migrating user". As the users are part of the project you can read more about that from :https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/how-cloud-to-cloud-migration-manages-users-and-groups/

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 11.52.19 PM.png

If you wish to import just issues of the project you can try doing that with CSV import, however, for the same you must need to setup the project settings the same as the source to your destination site that included fields,issue types, workflow etc. 

You can know about the Import with csv from :https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

Hope that answers your question. 

rodney e April 26, 2023

Hi @Himanshi , Thank you for the info. I'm trying to understand which 'users' are included.

Only users with project access?

Only users with Jira access?

All users with site access?

I found the answer, documentation states all users (active & inactive), if I'm reading it correctly...

"

How we migrate users and groups

Currently, all users and groups are migrated during a cloud-to-cloud migration. All active and inactive users are migrated, and content associated with deleted users is also migrated. However, we migrate users and groups separately, which means you’ll need to add users to their groups after migration to give them product access. In upcoming releases, we’ll provide the option to preserve group membership, which means users will remain in all groups they were a part of before migration and receive product access immediately. Learn more about giving users product access "

Himanshi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2023

Splendid @rodney e . Please feel free to mark if you think the shared information has helped you get answer. 

Like rodney e likes this
Rob Little March 13, 2024

is there a feature request on the roadmap for this?  In a (repeated) cloud to cloud copy product data push, say for a subset of projects that you didn't move the first time... the fact it takes hours sometimes, just to confirm 0 users / 0 groups... is a bit much.

in c2c, maybe a toggle to say 'no users/groups - i'm are of implications' - to let the person driving the migration make the decision that there is no user/group delta, not the c2c migration tool after an hour of spinning icons, before it even gets to the project to move.  

Rob Little March 13, 2024

i'm *aware*. sorry sticky kb today 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events