How to exclude points on burndown chart and sprint report

Susan Keithley November 30, 2022

I would like for the burndown chart or sprint report to exclude stories/points that have statuses of  cancelled, won't do, and duplicate, etc. Currently, both reports show what was added and removed. How can I get them to show what was cancelled, won't do, and duplicate, etc?

Thank you,

Susan Keithley

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

That's not how estimates are used in sprints, but you have three simple options to help with this problem.

• Why are you bringing cancelled, won't do and duplicate issues into a sprint?  You should have dropped them during backlog refinement, so they should never be included in a sprint.
  • In real life, sometimes, something gets killed off after the developers have committed to doing it.  That should be a rare occurence, and something to talk about in the retrospective ("why didn't we kill it in refinement?" is the starting point for that conversation), but when it happens, the cleanest thing to do is just mark it as "done".  Your people did something with it in the sprint, even if it were to just decide it doesn't need any more action, so they've effectively done it.  Map the cancelled, won't do, duplicate and other "done" status into the last column on the board.
  • A bit of a botch, but in both cases above, you could also blank out the estimate on it.  This will still affect your burn chart in the second case, as it is scope change, but you are at least reporting that no action was taken.
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

Adding to this...

If you map the Cancelled, Won't do, and Duplicate status to be Done instead, you can use the Resolution field to specify the type of "Done"; i.e. Done with a Resolution of Cancelled.

Like # people like this

This would probably work. My team is fairly new at Agile, so we occasionally do get these statuses.

Thx!

@Trudy Claspill Will the resolution field show on the turndown and/or sprint reports? 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2022

The Burndown chart doesn't show either Status or Resolution values.

The Sprint Report does show Status, but will not show Resolution.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events