How to enable the association between Epic, Story and Tasks?

Shubham Sinha February 4, 2021

Hi,

I have a tasks created in Jira.

I also have user stories connecting tasks. These are 1-2 liner statement saying something like "As a user I want to do X, so that I can achieve Y"/

Question:

1) Is it correct to say that the right way of linking tickets is to connect Epic with Story, Story with Tasks? If not, what is the correct way?

2) What should I write in the Description section for a story? The Summary section of the Jira ticket would already cover the required detail ("As a user...")

3) How could I connect different set of tasks with different set of stories? How can I track the progress of the story? 

4) How can I connect Stories with Epic?

5) How can I selectively share my Jira tickets with other team members? 

Please let me know.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

Hi Shubham - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Here are my answers:

1) Yes, this is the correct way.

2) The user story text should go in the Description field, not the Summary. The Summary should be a short card title for the work to be done. 

3) You can link any number of tasks to a story. However, there will not be updates as to % complete, etc. 

4) Go to the Story and place the Epic you want to link to in the Epic Link field. 

5) What do you mean by selectively share? You can implement Issue Level Security to hide certain issues from certain users.

You can learn more about that here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-issue-level-security-776636711.html

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2021

Yes, and... for your question #1 Stories can be the parents of Sub-Tasks, not of Tasks.

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events