• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to enable the association between Epic, Story and Tasks?

Hi,

I have a tasks created in Jira.

I also have user stories connecting tasks. These are 1-2 liner statement saying something like "As a user I want to do X, so that I can achieve Y"/

Question:

1) Is it correct to say that the right way of linking tickets is to connect Epic with Story, Story with Tasks? If not, what is the correct way?

2) What should I write in the Description section for a story? The Summary section of the Jira ticket would already cover the required detail ("As a user...")

3) How could I connect different set of tasks with different set of stories? How can I track the progress of the story? 

4) How can I connect Stories with Epic?

5) How can I selectively share my Jira tickets with other team members? 

Please let me know.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Feb 04, 2021

Hi Shubham - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Here are my answers:

1) Yes, this is the correct way.

2) The user story text should go in the Description field, not the Summary. The Summary should be a short card title for the work to be done. 

3) You can link any number of tasks to a story. However, there will not be updates as to % complete, etc. 

4) Go to the Story and place the Epic you want to link to in the Epic Link field. 

5) What do you mean by selectively share? You can implement Issue Level Security to hide certain issues from certain users.

You can learn more about that here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-issue-level-security-776636711.html

Yes, and... for your question #1 Stories can be the parents of Sub-Tasks, not of Tasks.

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,073 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you