How to enable Epic Names back again?

Cainitech March 30, 2023

Since a few days, Jira is not showing the epics by their name anymore, only by their Summary.

Example: An epic with the name = `URL Shortener` and Summary = `Service to shorten URLs and register access stats`.
When I go to Backlog -> Epics they are shown by their Summary, only. Also, when I click an epic, the "title" of the issue is filled with the Epic Summary instead of the Epic name.

It was working fine until a few days ago, showing the epic names on the issue's "tags" on Active sprint board. We are not quite sure of when it changed.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2023

Hi @Cainitech,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

What you are seeing is expected, Atlassian is rolling out a change to epic fields that will make the epic name optional and instead the summary will be used. You can learn more about the change here

Cainitech April 3, 2023

Hi @Mikael Sandberg 
Understood. Thank you very much for the answer. I'll tell the team to adapt to the Summary field.
Thank you very much

Valter Cardoso May 9, 2023

Ok ... ... but how to view the Epic name again instead of the summary?
I have a bunch of epics that now are unrecognisable, because i have used the name and description, and the description is telling what the epic is about, and the name was the real short identifiable name.

Like # people like this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

@Valter Cardoso I would make sure that the epic name and the summary are the same, and you could do that by running an automation that copies the epic name to summary. There is no option to say that it should display the epic name instead of the summary.

Like Valter Cardoso likes this
Valter Cardoso May 9, 2023

Ok, and thanks for the reply ... ... i have used an automation to do that.
Fortunately it has that option ...

Thanks

Sergio Gattás May 10, 2023

Can you guide me how to do that automation?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2023

@Sergio Gattás It would look something like this:

Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 1.54.11 PM.png

In this case I would use the scheduled one with a JQL that selects just a subset of your epics at the time since the automation would be throttled if it runs for too long.

Like Sergio Gattás likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events