How to efficiently exchange issue field values?

Andreas Schwab February 8, 2021

For a known reason, for some of our projects, we have to exchange the values stored in custom field "A" (cf_1) with the values in field "B" (cf_2). 

We must do this project specific for hundreds of issues of Project "P". Since other projects have the mapping correct. 

Is there an option/script/solution to do that easily? We're reluctant to do that for hundreds or even thousand of issues manually.  

3 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Manuel Galván February 8, 2021

I use script runner for that. Script runner has a copy custom field value to other custom field script that updates issues from a filter:

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/builtin-scripts.html#_copy_custom_field_values

Andreas Schwab February 11, 2021

This solution does exactly what I specified in my question. Thank you. 

Like # people like this

There is one thing, that was surprising, standard fields, e.g. "Summary" cannot be copied. John Funk's solution works also with standard fields. 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Hi Andreas - I use the Automation for Jira app for Cloud to do that with a Scheduled trigger type of rule. There is a free app for Automation for Jira for Server, but I think you will probably have to have the paid full app to do the scheduled trigger. You could start a trial with that add-on and see if it does what you need it to do. 

Thank you very much. We tried the tool and found it ultimately more useful since we can also copy Standard-fields like summary. Another pro was, that it puts the custom field ID for the selection. Since we have same identifiers for some custom fields, this has proven very helpful too. 

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Andreas Schwab February 22, 2021

If you use Structure for Jira you may also use Effectors:  https://wiki.almworks.com/display/structure/Effectors 

Suggest an answer