Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to edit description field through REST api

We want to edit jira issue description field through rest api but we are not able to do that can you help us with that

2 answers

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf Community Leader Jul 12, 2021

Hi @faisalamdani 

The JIRA cloud rest api documentation on edit issue should help you with this ->  https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v2/api-group-issues/#api-rest-api-2-issue-issueidorkey-put

Hello @Fazila Ashraf 

I am using V3 version in which they dint have field for description in edit issue api. can you help me that?

Thank you !

Hello @Fazila Ashraf 

I am referring the same documentation.

The description field in this api is in the historyMetadata object which doesn't update the description field in jira.

We can't pass description field in 'update' or 'fields' objects in this api which actually updates the jira filelds.

Thank you !

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jul 16, 2021

Hi @faisalamdani

is there a specific error you are getting back?

It should really be no harder than passing the following to REST API - which method did you use? I seem to recognize from documentation the request should be of type 'PUT'.

It should work that way:

{"fields":{"description":"my new description"}}

For the URL I'd say it is:
PUT /rest/api/2/issue/issuekey

Let us know if it proceeded well, please.

Cheers,
Daniel

Hello @Daniel Ebers 

I am using V3 api in which we can not directly send description in fields object like this {"fields":{"description":"my new description"}}

though in V2 its working but I want the solution for V3

Thank You!

Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jul 18, 2021

There still might be deviances between v2 and v3 API - why I am not confident it definitely works in v3 API.

You probably could also check with Developer Community (https://community.developer.atlassian.com/tag/rest-api) - guessing there are more users specialicing in integration questions with API and coding.
You also could wait here for more input but an older thread normally does not get that much attention after a few days.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

⏰ Day in the life of a Jira Admin!

Hello Community! We thoroughly enjoyed this just-for-fun conversation in the Jira Admin Group about what it's like to be a Jira Admin. For #JiraJuly, our talented designers created these graphics t...

77 views 1 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you