How to do time tracking in individual level?

Sahil Ansari April 14, 2023

Hi community,

I want to get help about how can I do proper time tracking form my dev team , and how to get proper details in time tracking report, and also please help on what estimations should he helpful with regards to time tracking report, as it supports only original time testimate and not story points.

4 answers

2 votes
Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 14, 2023

Hello @Sahil Ansari 

Welcome to the community!

You can try add-on developed by my team Time in Status for Jira Cloud.

This add-on generates 7 types of time tracking report, such as 

• Time in Status,
  • Assignee Time,
  • Average Time, etc.  

With our add-on you can easily find out what estimations should be helpful with regards to time tracking reports.

GIF TIS.gif

Also, you can extract a report as XLSX or CSV files for further analyzing Excel or Google Spreadsheets easily. 

This add-on has a 30-day free trial version and it's free up to 10 users.
Please, let me know if you have any questions

Hope it helps,
Valeriia

Anthony Vincent April 24, 2023

Does this work like work-item-age? I want to be able to ask my developer when they are about to start a sprint, "hey Vince, how long would this user story take to get to QA"?

Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 24, 2023

Hello @Anthony Vincent 
Welcome to the community! 

For work-item-age i suggest you to try Time between Statuses, also developed by my company SaaSJet.

In our add-on you will be able to set the Warning and Critical time limits exactly for work-item-age and notify people about critical issue. Here you can see how to set up it.

7.png

Our add-on is free up to 10 users. Also i'm offering to you a 30-day trial

Please, let me know if you have any questions

Hope it helps,
Valeriia

1 vote
Emre Toptancı [OBSS]
Marketplace Partner
April 17, 2023

Hello @Sahil Ansari

When it comes to Time Tracking, you have two options:

First, you can ask your users to log time on to your Jira issues. Each user enters worklogs showing how long they spent on each issue on each day. Jira out-of-the-box provides the basic infrastructure to log work on issues. Using a marketplace app like TEMPO Timesheets will help you greatly while tracking and reporting worklog entries. (I am not affiliated with those guys but have used TEMPO Timesheets on many occasions. It is a good app.) The downside of this solution is: Your users will need to enter worklogs manually. If they are not used to this, you might be getting some user resistance which in turn causes you to have less reliable data. The upside is: If you can get your users to enter worklogs accurately, you can get very good cost reports and planning data for the future.

Second, you can get reports based on issue workflows. There are apps on the marketplace (like our app introduced below) that can show you how much time each issue spent on each status. The upside of this solution is: Your users don't need to enter manual worklogs. The downside is: This data can be misleading for reports on user time allocation and cost reporting (especially if you have multiple issues running in parallel). Issue workflow based time reports are especially useful for identifying bottlenecks in your workflow.

Even if I am going to be recommending our app for the second option here, I gotta say, the first one is the healthier option. As I said above, if you can get your users to enter worklogs, you should pursue the first one for resouse allocation and cost reporting. You should use the second option for identifying bottlenecks in your process.

If you are OK with using a marketplace app for this, our team at OBSS built Time in Status for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud, and Data Center.  

Time in Status mainly allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or each assignee

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.png    tisCloud_AssigneeDuration.png

The app has Consolidated Columns feature. This feature allows you to combine the duration for multiple statuses into a single column and exclude unwanted ones. It is the most flexible way to get any measurement you might want. Measurements like Issue Age, Cycle Time, Lead Time, Resolution Time etc. 

For all numeric report types, you can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select. For example total in-progress time per Vertical or average resolution time per sprint, week, month, issuetype, request type, etc. The ability to group by parts of dates (year, month, week, day, hour) or sprints is particularly useful here since it allows you to compare different time periods or see the trend. 

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Average_TimeGrouped.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well. It supports both Company Managed and Team Managed projects for Jira Cloud.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts.

Gadget_AverageStatusDurationByComponent.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211756/

EmreT

Emre Toptancı [OBSS]
Marketplace Partner
April 24, 2023

Hello @Anthony Vincent

You can use our app to make estimations for future issues. 

Time in Status by OBSS shows how much time each issue spent on each status (or the total time spent on a selected group of statuses). It is possible to get averages of these durations per month, week, project, issuetype, etc.

You can get such an average report using past issues that are similar in size to the issue you want to estimate and base your estimation on the reported value.

Hope this helps.

EmreT

0 votes
Gracjan Wesołowski _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2023

Hi @Sahil Ansari 

Welcome to the community :)

You might consider using time-tracking apps that in most cases have a customizable report of tracked time on issues.

I can recommend our Clockwork Automated Time Tracking & Timesheets Free app, which offers you the possibility to review timesheets that can be configured in various ways using break-down and filtering options. It also allows you to export the data to Excel files.

Please find below the sample of how the timesheet looks like:

comm123.png

If you have any questions you can contact us via our help center.

Cheers!

Gracjan

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
April 15, 2023

Hi @Sahil Ansari

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You can try Status Time Reports app developed by our team. It mainly provides reports and gadgets based on how much time passed in each status.

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try without installing the app.

• This app has a dynamic status grouping feature so that you can generate various valuable reports as time in status, time in assignee, status entry dates and status counts, cycle time and lead time, average/sum reports by any field(e.g. average in progress time by project, average cycle time by issue creation month).
  • You can search issues by Project, Issue Type, Status, Assignee, Issue Creation/Resolution Date(and any other Date field) and JQL Query.
  • Status durations are calculated according to the working calendar you define. Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days.
  • You can set different duration formats.
  • You can export reports in CSV file format and open them in MS Excel.
  • You can also add this app as a gadget to your Jira dashboards and reach “Status Time” from Issue Detail page.
  • You can enable/disable access to Status Time reports&gadgets and Issue Detail page per project, users, groups or project role.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free.

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events