How to delete Issue Types from JIRA?

Peg Rotstein March 15, 2019

We recently migrated a JIRA project from a hosted service at my company to the Atlassian Cloud.  I need to delete issue types we shared with another project from my project that now exists in its own space.  

I have the role as administrator on my JIRA project.

According to documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/adding-editing-and-deleting-an-issue-type-844500747.html

• Select the Jira icon ( or ) > Jira settings > Issues.
  • Click Issue types.
  • Find the relevant issue type and click Delete.

I have the Jira icon (the diamond) but after select that I don't see "Jira settings".  If I go into Project Settings, I don't see "Issues"  nor "Issue types".

Looks like the only thing I can do is see a list of Issue Types and rearrange screens from them.

I have a feeling that I don't have access to some an upper level of system administration that is needed to configure my project.  I also need to edit workflows and don't see a way to do that either.

Can someone provide me with the correct terminology or questions to ask my system administrators to help me get access to delete issue types, edit workflows and remove unneeded swimlanes from my board?

Thank you!

Peg

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2019

@Peg Rotstein To delete issue types and edit workflows that are shared with other projects, you will need "JIRA Administrators" global permission, which can be granted by adding you in jira-administrators group in JIRA cloud.

To remove swimlanes or update any other board configuration, you will need to be either added as "Board Administrator", or you will need you will need "JIRA Administrators" global permission.

You can request your System Admins to perform the changes you need, as it is not a good practice to provide JIRA Administrators permission to a lot of users, who do not need this frequently.

Peg Rotstein March 15, 2019

Thank you Taranjeet!  This is exactly the information I needed.

Suggest an answer