How to default content into Issue Fields (e.g. Description)?

Jim Galindo October 20, 2021

I'm getting lost (and frustrated) with a number of things relating to setting up "software projects" in JIRA. 

I have an existing "software project" which easily allows me to set default content into a field (e.g. Description) by going into Project Settings>Issue Types to customise each Fields default values for each issue type.  I have other projects where this seems like an impossible task without impacting every other project.  I am trying to create a "software project" with the same capability to easily default values, but cannot find a "software project" type that allows this.  I am putting "software project" in quotes because it seems Atlassian has merged several of these which were once classic and new into one with the specific one I am after no longer available.  Can someone help me find a way to create the specific "software project" I am after?  

For context, my purpose is to default in a template (effectively a deliverable like requirements, design, etc.) into each description which the team has to complete where there are multiple projects with each team performing a specific function before handing over to the next team.  

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jim Galindo October 20, 2021

I worked it out.  

The "software project" needs to be team managed, not organisation managed. 

0 votes
Jarosław Solecki _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 29, 2023

You can also set default values and use them like templates in company-managed projects with Dynamic Forms for Jira. You will also gain a few additional features like abilities to set value based on condition, and conditional show/hide fields, making them required or read-only.

Cheers, 
Jarek

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events