How to create screen in cloud based JIRA?

Hello, I use cloud based version of JIRA and I would like to have a possibility to use a feature similar to screens. 

My requirement is to provide users an option to choose at the first screen 1 of 3 options and then to have customized next steps according to the option chosen. I heard that screens works like that but I don't see this option here. 

I think that I have Team Managed Project version. Could anyone suggest anything?

Thank you in advance!

Zuzanna

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2022

Screens do not work as you have written it, but your writing has two possible interpretations to my mind.

A screen is a collection of fields that Jira presents to the users during certain actions.  These activities are creating an issue, editing an issue, transitioning between status, and viewing an issue.  

There is no "stepping through" a screen or set of them.  A screen just gets used when you're doing something specific with an issue.

The second interpretation is that you might be thinking about screen tabs.  Tabs in a screen contain sub-sets of the fields in the screen.  A typical use of tabs is to break up an issue's fields into groups for different viewers.  All the fields remain available, but some teams will only be interested in one or two tabs.  (Simple example is Incidents - the people creating and dealing with the incident will work in tab 1, the people doing the post-incident analysis will have their fields in tab 2, and the financial analytics fields are on tab 3)

Tabs do not have sequencing either though.

You can do sequencing as you describe, but you do it in the workflow - present the users with different transition screens according to what they need to see at the time they are moving the issue forwards through the workflow.

This is excellent! Thank you very much - indeed tabs are more likely what I was asking for. So, how do I proceed? Could you guide me to the creation of tabs please?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2022

Glad to be of help!

For tabs, go find the screen you want to break up into tabs, and go in to edit it.  You'll immediately see that there is a list of fields there, but look just above the first one - a default untabbed screen will have "Field tab" with a pencil mark for renaming it (you don't need to when there is only one tab - Jira hides the tabs if there's only one), and "add tab" to the right.

Once you've added a new tab, you can click into it and add fields in the same way you could in the first tab.

Note that a field can only appear once on an issue, so if you've got a field on tab 1, it won't be available to add to tab 2.  You don't have to delete it from tab 1 so you can add it to tab 2, you can just use the click and drag that lets you rearrange fields - drag it onto the title of the tab you want to move it to.

Hi, I tried to use this as well but the problem is I don't have "screens". I already tried with work instruction from JIRA Confluence : Choose Administration > Issues. Select Screens to open the View Screens page. As I mentioned I use cloud based JIRA and I know that certain functionalities are disabled here... that's why I'm searching for another option. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2022

Are you using the global administration (the cog at the top right, in the main menu bar), or project administration?

I put here two screen shots - first is when I go directly to "settings" on the right main panel, second is when I go to Project settings.

Screenshot 2022-06-02 095156.pngScreenshot 2022-06-02 095241.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2022

Ok, team-managed projects do not have screens.

And I'm sure that any alternative neither? :( Do you know why team-managed projects are so poorly equiped? Thank you for your willingness to help! Have a great day!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2022

Yes, use company-manged projects instead.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events