How to create parent issue in Jira work management (Like epic)?

chandra kumar May 19, 2023

I am trying to create new issue which should be parent where I can create task and sub task in that. But when I am doing its creating like child issue not as parent issue. Anyone can guide me?

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2023

Hi Chandra - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you share the rule that you have so far? 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

Hello @chandra kumar 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? That information will show at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left.

In the Jira system only one type of issue is allowed that is handled like like an Epic.

If you are working with a Company Managed project and the Epic issue is not present, then the system's default Epic issue type needs to be added to the Issue Type Scheme for that project. 

If you are working with a Team Managed project and the Epic issue type is not already available in the project then you add it by going to Project Settings (1), then select Issues (2). Then click +Add Issue Type (3). Then select the Epic issue type (4). And finally click Add (5).

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 11.57.46 AM.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events