How to create alert for issues being in some statuses for too long?

Joey Huang March 22, 2023

I want to receive email notifications (or to be tagged or alerted in some way) when tickets are in "Code Review" or "Deployed" statuses for > 3 days. 

I was able to set up a scheduled trigger to send me an email using JQL to filter for those tickets. However, the email sent to me had no content in the email body (ex. did not list the tickets that's been sitting in those statuses for > 3 days)

JQL used: project = SS23 AND NOT status CHANGED AFTER -3d AND "Dev Team[Dropdown]" = "Data Infrastructure (DI)" AND status IN ("Deployed to Dev", "Code Review")

1.png2.png3.png4.png

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Najm Polaris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2023

Hi @Joey Huang

The easier way to achieve this would be to create the JQL in advanced filter and save it. Schedule the JQL to send you emails as necessary. In this case you won't need the automation at all and it will send you the whole list of issues as you save in the filter view.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

That would indeed be an easier way to get the same data. :-D

Like Najm Polaris likes this
Joey Huang March 23, 2023

@Najm Polaris How do I "Schedule the JQL to send you emails as necessary."? Is it still under Automation? I used the following content but the email is just a blank email (not actually listing the issues in the email)

{{#lookupIssues}}
* {{key}}
{{/}}

Screenshot 2023-03-23 163714.pngScreenshot 2023-03-23 163652.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

No, this is not under Automation.

In Advanced Issue Search enter the JQL you have for selecting the issues. Save that filter.

Next go the the Filters menu and select View All Filters.

Find the filter you just saved.

Click on the ... to the far right of the filter.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 1.45.59 PM.png

Choose Manage Subscriptions.

Click the Add Subscriptions button.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 1.47.25 PM.png

Here you can set up the frequency for how often you want the filter results to be mailed to you.

Najm Polaris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2023

@Joey Huang you can see the demo here if there is still any confusion

Joey Huang March 24, 2023

Oh my gosh didn't even know this existed! This is amazing, thank you both so much @Najm Polaris @Trudy Claspill !!

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2023
1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

Hello @Joey Huang 

With a Schedule trigger that includes JQL in the trigger, each action after the trigger will be executed for each issue that is returned by the JQL in the trigger.

In your current setup you should get an email for each issues that your Scheduled JQL is finding. To include information in the email about the issue, use smart values. For instance if you include the smart value {{issue.key}} in the body of the email it will print the issue key in the email.

If you want just one email that lists all the issues found, then you need to pull the JQL out of the Schedule trigger and add a Lookup Issues action to get the list of issues. That same references shows the smart values you can add to the email content to have the complete list of retrieved issues printed in one email.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events