How to create a tasks and write tickets which fall under that for a long time?

John Thomas June 24, 2021

So in my role, for every quarter we have tasks. And for every task in the quarter, new sub tasks are added .

I want to create a system where I can have all the larger umbrella quarter tasks and for employees to add tickets that are associated with each of the tasks. 

So if the large task is like " Build Dashboard" the smaller associated tickets would be "build model A for dash, write documentation for model A, etc..."

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

Hello @John Thomas 

Welcome to the community.

What type of project are you working with in Jira; Work Management, Software, or Service Management?

There are a couple of ways you can do this. If you are working with a Software project then I would recommend this >>

For each Quarterly task, you could create an Epic, and then have multiple tasks to accomplish that created as child stories/issues under the Epic. This allows you to track the smaller elements (Stories) of the larger task (Epic) using the Kanban or Scrum methodologies.

John Thomas June 24, 2021

but could i use the epic method and have all the sub tickets from different projects exist on the same board?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

If you create Company Managed projects, you can 

1. Link "sub tickets" to Epics that exist in other projects

2. Create a filter that retrieves all the epics and all the sub tickets from all the projects, and then create an agile board using the saved filter.

Boards are just a way to view and manipulate the issues in projects. For Company Managed projects you can create boards based on saved filters or boards based on a project.

Alternately, you could have all the data in one project instead of separate projects. If you want boards that display only the issues relevant to a particular team, there are a variety of methods to designate to which team an issue is assigned and then create a board based on a saved filter that filters for the issues assigned to that team.

If you create Team Managed projects, you can't do that. Epics and their child issues must exist in the same project. And when you create a Team Managed project the process creates a board for you. While you can create additional boards based on Team Managed projects, the boards do not function the same as the default board created for the project automatically when the project was created.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events