How to create a "Wish List" aside from the product backlog

Greg Becker September 20, 2021

Hello,

As the product owner I want to be fully in controll of the product backlog and it prioritization.  having said that, I want to define a location inside of Jira which I am calling a "wish list" where my development team and customers can put down their ideas for items/things we "Wish" to work on, but I do not want directly added to the backlog.  Can someone walk me through the process for how to create/title and complete this?

Thank you,

Greg B. 

2 answers

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2021

hi Greg, for this I would create a separate project and if an issue passes all the test then either move it to the dev project or close as approved and create a linked issue.

Greg Becker September 22, 2021

Hello and thank you for the response.

I'm not sure how to accomplish this.  new project creation?  Tests to be an issue?  Not all the items we work on are for software development.   Point being -- I want to prevent anyone and everyone from simply adding to the Backlog.  As the product owner, I  want the back log to be for only items I add to the list -- not "everyone".  Hence why I want to create a WishList area that I can review before adding or migrating to the backlog.  I am new Creating boards in Jira -- so wanted a step by step for how to accomplish.  Thank you Greg

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2021

Hi Greg - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I would probably add a new status to your workflow so that all issues that get created go into this new status first. Then you can move them to Backlog status. 

Greg Becker September 22, 2021

Hello and thank you for the response.

I'm not sure how to accomplish this.  Point being -- I want to prevent anyone and everyone from simply adding to the Backlog.  As the product owner, I  want the back log to be for only items I add to the list -- not "everyone".  Hence why I want to create a WishList area that I can review before adding or migrating to the backlog.  I am new Creating boards in Jira -- so wanted a step by step for how to accomplish.  Thank you Greg

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2021

The you want to control who can Create issues on your project. Simply change the Permission Scheme to make it so that only you can create issues. 

Dana Ibragimova June 10, 2022

Hello Greg,

I am looking for a wishlist outside of the product backlog too, have you managed to find something that works? 

Looking forward to hear some ideas.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2022

@Greg Becker  - Did you try the Status suggestion above? Or did you implement something else? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events