How to create a kanban board using automation?

Frederik Vindum August 9, 2022

Hi

I am looking to create a kanban board using Jira automation. It seems it cannot be done. Anyone knows anything on the mattert? Thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2022

No there is nothing like that. Can you describe your need/use case?

Frederik Vindum August 11, 2022

Hi - thanks for reaching out.

The use case is this: each January a board is created to hold accounting tasks for the coming year. Accounting completes the same tasks each year such as make budget, control budget in Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4 and make final accounting. So the idea was that an automation job ran on December 31 to create a board 20XX and add the reaccurring taks to it.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2022

So this seems like an odd approach TBH. What about using an Epic for each year then keeping the same board display swimlanes by epic.

Aron Kuch October 26, 2023

@Jack Brickey I am building an automation to create projects so that each project has the same settings and copying a few consistent planning tasks. The board is the main entry point from the users to the projects, so I'd really like to auto create and set those consistently too.

0 votes
Tino
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 29, 2023

Here is a usecase:

We have a small group of admins. Only this admin-group is allowed to create new projects. So we can make sure that every project has the same specific setup. Thats importatnt for a good aggregation for our management and dircetor level. As an admin team we also want to offer a good "service" to our colleges by creating a good project with all this extras (like automation & default boards) thats why we want to generate automatically this boards. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2023

hi @Tino , I don't quite follow. If your goal is to create a board that has a consistent look and feel then consider creating a 'template' and using the copy board feature then updating the filter to reflect the desired data. Of course when creating a new project you do get default boards but they might not be what you ultimately desire.

regardless, Automation does not provide this capability. IMO, it would be challenging to implement a useful solution for this as you would need to present quite a lot of variables that need to be specified in the rule: board name, general filter to use, columns and status mapping, quick filters, swimlanes, estimation, etc. I guess a solution that automates the Copy board command might help?

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2022

Boards are just a representation of tickets per statuses so we need to figure out what you mean for "automation within a board"

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events