How to create a custom template project

Angelica Hernandez May 11, 2021

Hi all,

We are using Jira software, Next generation projects. The issue is that we have projects with the same tasks, I want to create a template to avoid the creation of tasks and workflows, fields and screens, for each project.

I really appreciate your comments, because I have at least 40 projects to create. Regards.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

Hi Angelica,

The nature and purpose of Team-managed (formerly Next-gen) projects is that they are independent of all other projects. So what you are hoping for cannot be done with Team-managed projects. 

You will need to use Company-managed projects. 

Hi @John Funk  Thanks for your quick response. 

Ok, I think I can change the type of project.  Where I can see the steps to create the template for a Company-managed project,?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

You can't change a project type, you have to just create a new project. 

So, first, create the project with all of the schemes that you want. And maybe even label it as a "template" project as such. 

Then when you create future projects, have them based on an existing project and select your "Template" project. 

This will not create tasks - but you can do that with automation. 

Barbara Kugler June 11, 2021

Hi @John Funk 

I'm also looking into a solution to build a project template. I don't want to clone issues, but I want to have all settings (issuetypes, workflows, schemes...) that I set up already in that template.

Like mentioned in other threads I created a company-managed project and have all settings up and running in that project. Now I want to create a new project based on that. But I can't find the functionality. Can you please advice?

Thanks

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2021

Hi Barbara,

Click on Projects and select Create Project

Click on Jira Software on the bottom left

Choose Kanban or Scrum

Click on Use Template button

Click on button for Select a Company-managed Project

Put in a Name and Key for the new project 

Check the box for Share settings with an existing project

Select the project that you originally created. 

Click the Create button and you should be good to go!

Like # people like this
Barbara Kugler June 14, 2021

Hi @John Funk ,

thanks for the answer, but when I use this function I get all the issues that I create in the new projects duplicated to the template project. But I just want to use it as an empty project template. 

Is there a way that new issues in other projects (that share settings) are not duplicated in my template project?

Thanks

Barbara

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2021

That's strange - just creating a new project based on an existing project should not create any issues at all - just the project. 

If you look at the history of one of the issues that was created, who does it say created it? 

Barbara Kugler June 16, 2021

@John Funk thank you. It seems to works now. Looks like I made a mistake with cloning scope in Big Gantt. 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2021

Great! Glad it is working for you now.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2021

Hello @Angelica Hernandez 

The fundamental concept of Team Managed (next gen) projects is that each project configuration is independent of every other project configuration. There is currently not a way to create a template for a Team Managed project.

If you want projects to share configurations, such as workflows, screens, and fields, you should use Company Managed projects instead. With Company Managed projects the JIRA Administrators create "schemes" that define the workflow, screens, fields, and so on. These schemes can be shared among Company Managed projects. When the schemes are updated by JIRA Administrators, all projects that use the schemes immediately receive the updates. When a JIRA Administrator creates a new Company Managed project, they can choose to create that project selecting "Share settings with an existing project", which will pick up the configuration of the existing project they specify.

You said you also want the same "tasks" in the projects. Do you mean actually tasks that describe work to be done, or do you mean types of tasks (i.e. stories, bugs, tasks, epics)? if the latter, the types of tasks/issues available in a Company Managed project is another one of the schemes that can be shared. If you are talking about individual issues that describe work to be done, copying the actual issues is not part of the native project creation process, but there are other ways to copy issues between projects.

There are a variety of resources that talk about the differences between Team Managed and Company Managed projects. If you have not already reviewed those, here is one of them:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/learn-the-basics-of-team-managed-projects/

You may want to reconsider your decision to use Team Managed projects.

@Trudy Claspill  Thank you very much for you assistance.  I will apply your suggestions.

Kind regards, 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events