How to create a No reply alert for the comment section?

Sandra Kabamba April 29, 2021

Hey everyone,

I would also like to create a JQL request so we're also alerted when a ticket is not replied to.

example: I tagged Jack because I need him to check on something but he has not replied in the last 24h so automation sends me a notification). 

I get that I have to create an automation rule to receive the notification but how to structure my query? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

I'm not aware of any native way in JQL to look up a user tag in an issue text field (e.g. Comment, Description, etc). You could look for an "@" in text, but it looks like you want to know the specific user.

There might be add-ons which provides extra JQL functionality that can do this. Maybe look at Atlassian Marketplace offerings for Jira Cloud, and see if any provide query capabilities that meet your needs.

Using @ tags is handy from an end-user perspective, and the built-in notifications are handy -- but those tags are not very accessible to JQL or automation. A user field would be more accessible, so you could consider that as an alternate approach.

So instead of using @Jack You could rely instead on the Assignee field, or create a new custom user-picker field like "Responder" and set that to user Jack.

The JQL function updatedBy() can then be helpful, although it's got a 1-day resolution limitation, which might not be as precise as the "24 hour window" you might want.

Once you have an easier way to access the user, the JQL or automation should be straightforward.

Sandra Kabamba May 3, 2021

Thanks Mykenna ! 

野嶽 宏貴(Hiroki Notake) May 6, 2021

Hi Mykenna, 

Sorry for jumped in. I thought my question is similar to this one.

I want to know how to create JQL in automation rules, it trances status to "DONE" when no writing in 14 days on the comment.  Could you tell me how?

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

Please add a new question here instead. That will encourage other responses too.

Suggest an answer