How to create a Kanban Board for one issue type across all Jira Projects?

Chris K
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2023

Dear Community,

We are currently working on our project portfolio management. Therefore, we created the issue type “project”, which is one of our higher hierarchy issue types and is used for project reporting via advanced roadmaps. The issue type will be present in all of our project based jira projects. In addition to the views in advanced roadmap, we want to create a kanban board which shows the detailed status of each of the project issuetypes across all jira projects. Therefore, we created the simple filter "issuetype = projects". 

Unfortunately, we are not able to create a Kanban Board based on this filter. I am wondering about the reason for this restriction as I am not seeing any error message or something like that. Do you know the reason and how to fix it?

Addition: Our approach is to create a general filter so that new project issue types in new Jira projects are taken into account directly in the board.

Greetings from Germany

Chris

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hi Christian,

What is the error you are getting when you try to create the board? Are you creating the board based on an existing filter? Or what is the process you are using to create the board? 

Chris K
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2023

Hi @John Funk ,

I don't get an error, as you can see in the screenshot I provided at the comment from @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_.

Yes, I try to create the board on an existing filter via:

1. Boards
  2. View all Boards
  3. Create Board
  4. Create a Kanban Board
  5. Board from an existing Saved Filter
  6. Name this board
  7. "Error" -> See Screenshot below
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

How many issues are returned from that query? I am wondering if there are too many for the board. 

Also, thinking that maybe you could create a board based on a simpler filter - maybe just a single project. And if the board gets created, then try to change out the filters and see what happens.

Chris K
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2023

Hi @John Funk

The query gets 38 Issues as a result. So I think that shouldn't be the problem.

I tried creating the board based on a project and then changing the filter.

Result: It worked, at first sight...  I get the issues in the board, but when I click "configure board" it appears a grey screen, where nothing happens... Did I just open the Gate to Mordor?

I am wondering if there are some restrictions which don't allow filtering across all existing Jira projects in our instance, which is strange since the JQL query itself works perfectly... So I will check for that in the next approach. I will also try different filters. Maybe I have to include each single project in the filter to get a "board valid result" - IDK...

I'll keep you updated on this one, and thank you for your help so far :)

Chris K
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2023

Hi all!,

I found a solution by trying a different filter. I added all the possible status values in the filter, so that the results will always be the same. After that, I was able to create the board via the steps described above. I still don't know the reason about this mysterious behavior, but I am happy that the solution works :)

Case closed - Thanks for your help @John Funk  and @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_

Like # people like this
0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2023

Hi @Chris K ,

you should be able to associate your filter based on issuetype=projects to a Kanban Board. Please make that filter shared and try to associate to your board.

Please could you share a screenshot about your issue ?

Fabio

Chris K
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2023

Hi @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_,

Thank you for the hint. I made sure, that the filter is shared. When I try to create the board, I get a loading Icon (a view milliseconds) as you can see in the screenshot. After that, nothing happens, and I am able to push the button “Create board” again. Kanban Board.png

Suggest an answer