How to count number of comments by assignee per issue with (extended) JQL

Azur Mujezinovic May 19, 2023

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get a number of comments who's author is the assignee on a ticket. If possible, it would be great 

Basically, I want to make sure that assignee has left at least 2 comments per issue.

Thank you in advance,

Azur

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

Hello @Azur Mujezinovic 

Have you installed a third party app that extends JQL capabilities? If so, which app?

Azur Mujezinovic May 21, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill ,

I currently have this Comment Custom Fields for Jira, but I understand that I can not accomplish my desires with this.

Before I would switch to some other add-on, such as ScriptRunner, I would like to make certain I can accomplish what I need.

Thank you,

Regards

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

So far I have not found a plugin that provides a filter to select issues by the number of comments authored by a specific user.

I found an old post in the eazyBI Community that indicated it could be done with their app. That may be applicable only to self-hosted Jira.

You could use a custom field and an Automation Rule to keep track of how many comments are added by the Assignee, incrementing the count for each comment as it gets added.

In Jira Automation I know it is possible to access the list of comments for an issue with the smart value {{issue.comments} and you can drill down to see attributes of each comment, like the author, but I haven't figured out how to use that the count the number of comments per author.

Using the REST API you could get all the comments for a given issue (and a separate API call to get the assignee of the issues) and parse through the results to see if the assignee authored two or more comments.

Azur Mujezinovic May 23, 2023

I have managed to make it work with custom field and Automation Rule.

In case someone would look for the same thing in the future : 

- Create a custom field (Number of comments by Jira assginee)

- Add that field to screens/projects that you want

- Create an automation rule : 

when : Rule is triggered on All comments

If : matches -> {{comment.author.displayName}} equals {{issue.assignee.displayName}}

THEN : edit issue fields -> {{#increment}}{{issue.Number of comments by Jira Assignee}}{{/}}

Like # people like this
Azur Mujezinovic May 23, 2023

Thank you for your help ! Best regards.

0 votes
Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2023

Hey @Azur Mujezinovic 

I'm Martins from eazyBI support team.

You could explore the solution with pre-calculated field imported in the eazyBI app

https://community.eazybi.com/t/calculating-the-number-of-comments-by-specific-user/1788/2

Martins / eazyBI

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events