How to copy field values from story to subtask

Rita Arellano October 1, 2022

Hi Guys, 

How do I copy field values from a parent(Story) to child(subtask) ?  So far the only thing that prefills is the link which I have set as child off.... but the fix versions and components are not being automatically copied from the parent(story) issue. below is my automation rule. 

Automation.PNG

2 answers

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2022

Hi @Rita Arellano 

First of all:
Is there any info in the audit log? Could you please share a screenshot of its output?

Furthermore:
Is the issue that is created of issue type sub-task or a custom standard issue type called „sub-task“?

I‘m asking this because of the linking action. A subtask issue type is automatically a child of a standard issue type.

And furthermore:
Even if the linking happens: Does it work correctly? From my perspective it seems that the created issue is linking to itself. (trigger issue is the same issue you are editing as there hasn‘t been any change of issue scope).

Best
Stefan

Rita Arellano October 2, 2022

Hi Stefan, 

Actually I figured it out. See below: 

Copy Story Fields Automation.PNG

Like Ansar Thennaden likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2022

Awesome. Great to know you got that working. In order to mark this question as completed could you please either mark any of the given answers as accepted or write an answer by your own pointing out the solution and accept this one?

Best
Stefan

Ansar Thennaden November 12, 2022

@Rita Arellano  Can you please share what you had on the 'Edit Issue Fields' stage please

Rita Arellano November 15, 2022

2022-11-15_23-04-58.jpg

0 votes
johnceena88 October 2, 2022

The story workflow probably has a condition on the transition to require sub-tasks be complete. But since we're talking scrum, this begs the question: how can you test a story if its sub-tasks (and subsequently, all of the work required for it) aren't done?

If a story is complete but its sub-tasks aren't, that suggests that either the sub-tasks aren't needed or should actually belong to a different story. Consider splitting them out, maybe.

router login

pikashow

Suggest an answer