How to consolidate users in 5 different Jira and Confluence instances

Shanmuka December 6, 2021

Hi Team,
We have different Jira(3 server+2Cloud) and confluence (3 server+2Cloud) instances. We wanted to consolidate everything into single Jira DC and Single Confluence DC. We use different AD for users in all instances.
My Q,s as follows:
1. same user might be using more than one instance of Jira/confluence for different projects, in that case how to check and make sure that for DC we need to take only one license.
2. What we need consider for DC licenses coz I see in one instance, number of users in system info page DB statistics are 15k where as licenses for that instance are only 4k(2k JSW +2k JSD)
3. After consolidating, Will we get any duplicate users ? also naming conventions are different for server & cloud, How to deal with that?
4. For example same user might created different tickets/projects in different instances , How to consolidate them into one?
5. In order to take number of licenses for target DC, we need to consolidate all the users in 5 instances , But same user can have licenses in different instances. So that user will be counted for different licenses . how to sort that one and come to final number of licenses needed for DC.

Thanks,
Shan

1 answer

1 vote
Joseph Hani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2021

Hello @Shanmuka ,

Looking at the information you have given. It looks like you need to make a big migration. 

I think that there is a lot of work to be done beforehand when it comes to grouping several instances into one Jira environment. It's a big deal. 

1. By multiple instances do you mean multiple projects or multiple different URL? 

2. Number of managed accounts and licensed use is different since all the 15k users don't use or need access to Jira. 

3. During the consolidation, if there are multiple users with the same email address you will have an error while migrating and you will have an error. 

4. I suggest that you first check the parameters of each project and the existing roles to combine all the similarities in 1 specific configuration.
You will first have the problem of the Project Role and Groups that you will have to check to have a solid and well-configured instance. 
All your permissions are and will necessarily be different for each project, so you will have to check the rights of the users and the groups to which they belong.
What we were able to do in our case was to synchronize our Active Directory with each project (Project -> Project Setting -> People). The people in this group were project roles in our Active Directory and in each project there were different rights.
For example:
The active directory Team Leader Data Factory in the Data Manage project does not have the same rights as in the Factory Manage project

Check Permissions Scheme and Screen Scheme also 

Regards, 

JH

Shanmuka December 6, 2021

Hi @Joseph Hani Thanks for the reply. 

1.Yes its 5 different instances of Jira and confluence i.e. five URL's

2. I need to suggest no of licenses for the target DC instance based on current licenses/users but like I said one user can have access to multiple instances. Need to know the how to count them

Thanks,

Shan

Suggest an answer