How to configure field layout in new issue view globally not project by project?

Maxim Bogdan December 17, 2018

With the new Jira issue view I need to configure field layout globally, for few projects at once and not one by one. In our organization we're using a lot of projects and it is a nightmare with current flow to configure each of them separately.

I did not find these settings in Jira Administration but only in Project administration.

In old issue view we've used screens and screen schemes shared between projects and used shared configurations to address our needs.

How can I do the same with new issue view? How can I create and use some common shared field layout for set of projects?

9 answers

4 votes
Sebastian Loh August 7, 2019

Big +1 here

There has to be a way to configure the issue layout globally and not just for each project. We have 180 projects (for some stupid reason, which is impossible to revers), I'd need to configure the layout 180 times to make the experience consistent.

2 votes
Sebastian Loh August 7, 2019

Jira issue to track this problem https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-71630

2 votes
Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2019

I am experiencing the same problem. I have several projects that are based on the same screen schemes, but the new view layout doesn't have a Global or Scheme option. There should be one Global layout that you can set up and apply to all projects,  then customize certain special projects separately. 

So far, this Global control is not in evidence. 

Kathy

0 votes
Harry Graham April 20, 2021

Bump, any updates here?

0 votes
Wes H July 14, 2020

Another bump...

The ability to change the layout of issue fields globally needs to be addressed. Anyone who wants consistency with this product absolutely needs this!!

Why have "screens" and "schemes" and "layouts" if every project is using its own?!?

At the very least, simplify the interface to set a project to use an established screen/scheme/layout/whatever instead of copying one for itself from... where? My default screen schemes and layouts are not being copied to new projects.

0 votes
Lliam Scholtz November 15, 2019

Bumping this feature request - super important please.

0 votes
Trista September 16, 2019

I too support the idea of having the ability to adjust the layout of fields in new issue view globally, and not just project by project. We too have a few hundred projects.

0 votes
Xavier Ramírez Majó March 31, 2019

could you solve this issue? how did you do it?

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2019

Still not solved. 

0 votes
Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2018

Hi @Maxim Bogdan,

Are you talking about for next-gen projects or for the normal jira projects?

If it's for next-gen projects you can go in and add the issuetype that you would like to have in the project that contains the desired field?

In the normal jira projects, go to administration>issues>screens>Configure then you can add the field to the screen you would like.

Hi @Patrick Cartier [Candylio],

It is about normal projects. But not about just adding fields - rather new layout that Jira has introduced recently. So all fields now divided into two categories: primary and secondary. You can refer to the guide https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html The order of fields to display is different from what defined in Screen and unique for each Project. For example Priority field was one of the first to display on my Screen and now it is on secondary and even not displayed by default (need to click on "See more" to display it).

So to configure which fields are primary which are secondary you need to go to Project settings and modify layout per issue screen. But there is no way to do it per screen (shared between projects), not per project.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2018

It says here: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configure-field-layout-in-the-issue-view-961798059.html

"If a group of issue types—tasks and subtasks, for example—use the same view issue screen - which they do by default, you'll configure the fields for those issue types all together as a set."

So if you're instance was set up to share screens in the first place, it shouldn't require going to every project.

According to what said in confluence - it works for issue types, that shares same screen but inside one project.

In my case I share screen between projects and I expected to have same layout shared as well, but unfortunately it is not. I did change configuration in Project 1 for issue type which is used in Project 2 and share same screen - layout is different (refer to screenshot).

So this makes me a bit nervous as we have 100+ projects and in such way it won't be configured properly.

jira_layout.png

Like # people like this
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2018

This is beginning to make me nervous too.

If you click DTMPL test screen can you adjust the fields there?

Yes, I can still change fields order for screen but that does not affect layout. Screens applicable to old view only. Layouts for new view.

So at the moment I recommend to all users to turn off new issue view in personal settings until I can get asnswer how to configure it for our cloud instance wide.

Like # people like this
Thomas Dittscher July 16, 2019

Hi Maxim.

Was there an answer to this question? I'm struggling with that point, too.

Best
Thomas

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

@Thomas Dittscher 

This has not been corrected by Atlassian. However, it is true now, that if you create a new classic project, it will, at least, put the fields in the order you have them on the Screen Scheme. But it still adds its own fields and already existing projects do not update if you change the Screen Layout except to add new fields at the bottom. 

Please vote on this bug ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-71630 

Suggest an answer