How to close a linked issue when an issue is closed using automation?

Jamshaid
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2024

I have two differrent projects TM and CO. Each issue in TM has a clone in CO created using Jira automation. 

Here is the link between both on the UI

• TM - is cloned by- CO
  • CO - clones - TM

I want to close the TM ticket when a CO ticket is closed. I am unable to find a way to do this.

I have tried Transition issue -> Done using automation but it looks like it does not work for the linked project. I have got the linked issue using 

{{#issue.issuelinks}}{{#if(equals(type.name,"Cloners"))}}{{outwardIssue.key}}{{^last}}, {{/}}{{/}}{{/}}

and the resulting key is stored in a variable. How do I close this parent issue? I can create automation in both TM and CO projet.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2024

Hi 

You can try using the following automation.

This automation operates by checking for linked issue types when a ticket is transitioned to the "done" column. If the linked issue type is "clones," it will then move the parent issue to the "done" column.

save.PNG

j2.PNGj3.PNG

Thank you.

Jamshaid
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2024

@Jerrold - Empyra Thanks for responding. I have tried this and it does not work. 

Here is the result

1 resuult.png

Here is my rule

2 rule.png

Here is the relevant issue

3 issue.png

Could you please guide what's wrong on my side? I am an admin in both projects. 

Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2024

After transitioning the CO-20 to the Done status, could you please refresh the page once or twice and then check it?

Jamshaid
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2024

@Jerrold - Empyra It ended up with the same issue after relogin and several refreshes

Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2024

Could you kindly provide the audit log and review the workflow of TM-69 to confirm if there are any conditions or validators in place before transitioning to the "done" status? Additionally, please verify the scope of the automation rule. I have set my scope as global, but you can set it for the two projects.

Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2024

And Please ensure that the rule actor has the necessary permissions in the project. If the rule actor is Automation for Jira, kindly assign the Atlassian-addons-project-access role or update the rule actor to your name.

Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2024

The automation rule is functioning as expected for me, which is why I am asking to check all these things. Apologies for any inconvenience.

g1.PNG

Like Danny Tran likes this
Jamshaid
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2024

@Jerrold - Empyra 

Thanks a lot. The Project permissions was the issue. I updated permissions of automation rule to both projects and it worked perfectly.

Like Jerrold - Empyra likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events