How to close Epic automatically, as soon as all children are closed?

Andrey Rudnev September 27, 2021

I'm trying to create an automation rule that will automatically close Epic (status Closed) as soon as ALL of its children are closed (resolution is set). Could you tell me what the syntax of the rule will look like?

4 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Andrey Rudnev September 30, 2021

I used ideas from all the answers and created a rule that completely solves my problem.

Close Epic with children.JPG

Mattia Baldari
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 4, 2023

Thanks to your answer I was able to come up with a solution for my case. 
Immagine 2023-05-04 180038.png

I'll put it here in case it can be useful to someone else 

Like # people like this
3 votes
Support Team [Clearvision]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2021

Hi Andrey,

You could try something like the following:

Automation.png

I've just used 'Done' as an example but you can change that to whatever Statuses you use.

Also in the IF statement use 'All match specified JQL' so all must be in that status to then transition the Epic.

Hope that helps.

CARLOS MARTINEZ
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 28, 2023

Thank you for posting this! 

Like John Funk likes this
2 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2021

Hi @Andrey Rudnev -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Whatever rule you use to transition the epic to "done", you may want to also change the "Epic Status" to "done".  We do that so the epics are removed from dropdown lists and the epic panel.  To do this, you will need to use advanced edit for the field:

{
"fields": {
"customfield_10010": { "value": "Done" }
}
}

Kind regards,
Bill

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2021

Hi Andrey - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You should move the condition to below the branch for the epic. 

One of ours looks like this:

screenshot1.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2021

Great! Glad you got it working!

Like Andrey Rudnev likes this

Suggest an answer