Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to check if the default value is updated

Hi Team,
I have a field named  "Analysis Notes" and have a default value as below
Cause of the defect:
Root cause of the defect:
Impacted area:

When a user moves the status of the issue from "Review" to "Implemented" I want the user to fill in the value of  "Analysis Notes"

I have created a screen as "Analysis screen" and added the field "Analysis Notes" to this screen.

The problem is that, since it has the default value my validator condition to change the "Analysis Notes" is not working. 

Please give me a solution.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John M Funk Community Leader Jun 20, 2022

Hi @rbalamu2  - Are you using any add-ons like JMWE or ScriptRunner? 

If not, one thing you could do is create a custom field that is hidden (i.e. not on a screen). Then create an automation rule that sets the value of the custom field when the Analysis Notes field is update. 

Then you can base your validator on the value of the custom field. 

I would just use a radio button type with No and Yes for the custom field. Set the value to Yes when the field is updated. Then set your validator to say the custom field must be equal to Yes. 

Like John M Funk likes this

Hi @John M Funk ,

I am using Issue fields condition, from automation to set the condition. 
I have the below default value:

*Cause of the defect:*
*Root cause of the defect:*
*Impacted area:*

Since it has space between each line, it is not considering the condition which in turn doesn't validate the field. Kindly help!

John M Funk Community Leader Jun 21, 2022

I have not tried this before, but try this syntax to remove the extra lines between 

{{issue.summary.replaceAll("\n", "")}} to remove all newline characters ("\n") instead of {{issue.summary}}.

Hi @John M Funk ,
I am using "Issue Transitioned" trigger.
I used "Advanced compare condition" find the attachment below:
condition.PNG
Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

John M Funk Community Leader Jun 29, 2022

As I said, I have not actually tried this. Did you try it? Did it work? If not, what kind of error did you get? 

0 votes
Craig Nodwell Community Leader Jun 20, 2022

Hi @rbalamu2 do you have any plugins available to you?  This would be a perfect example of the need for a screen behavior, a feature of Scriptrunner.  Short of that all I can suggest to you is to remove the default value, or test in your condition that the value of the field is both not null and also that the value of the field is not equal to your default value (reflecting edits to that default value).

Hi @Craig Nodwell ,
I am using Issue fields condition, from automation to set the condition. 
I have the below default value:

*Cause of the defect:*
*Root cause of the defect:*
*Impacted area:*

Since it has space between each line, it is not considering the condition which in turn doesn't validate the field. Kindly help!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,598 views 37 46
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you