How to change the resolution back to unresolved?

Natasha Qidwai November 6, 2018

I have a JIRA task that is marked as done but it should be unresolved. How do I change it?

6 answers

7 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2018

Hi Natasha,

as Raynard already said, Jira offers you a built-in post function in workflows called "Update Issue Field" that enables you to update a few system fields. Selecting the field "Resolution" and selecting the value "None" results in the field value to be cleared. Depending on the workflow you're already using in that project, it can be that simply transitioning the issue to OPEN again, will clear the Resolution field.

Best, Max

martha.schulzinger August 7, 2020

So helpful! Thank you!!

6 votes
Paulo Giovanni Rosario November 18, 2022

Hi,

If you think to do it using JIRA Automation, you can use this way.
A good tip: With this action RESOLUTION DATE will be clear together.resolution.JPG

Wilbert Bus January 3, 2023

Changed my reply into an Answer

Sirajuddin Khan February 29, 2024

This is amazingly solved lots of steps, just to reset resolution on reopening tickets

6 votes
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2018

The resolution is changed in the post-function. If it needs to be unresolved, the next transition needs to have the post-function "Update Issue Field", select "Resolution", then select what you want that resolution to be.

sooryatapreeti.sadeo December 21, 2022

Answers my query, thank you!

3 votes
Mark Newell May 18, 2022

No answer here, this simply doesn't work to set the ticket back to an unresolved status.

My understanding of the Resolution field in Jira is that once any value is set for that field the ticket is considered closed and will show the strikethrough in reports and lists and those tickets will not be shown in the open ticket filter in the portal.

The problem I am seeing is that this post function doesn't set Resolution to NULL in the database. In my case it is setting it to the default value of Incomplete but again since there is a value in the Resolution field the system sees these tickets as closed.

1 vote
Wilbert Bus January 3, 2023

Hi all,

I have tried all the different proposed solution for the automation, but nothing seemed to work for my situation.

I did find another approach which seemed to work in the end for me.

I created a new Resolution: "Re-opened" in Settings > Issues > Resolutions 

2023-01-03 11 17 57.png

And then I created a new Automation rule by going to Project Settings > Automation

Trigger: Issue Transitioned
From status: Done, Rejected, Duplicate

+ new component

New Action: Edit issue fields
Choose fields to set: Resolution
Value: Re-opened2023-01-03 11 22 55.png

Hope this helps who are in the same situation

0 votes
Tim Willmann February 10, 2023

You have to transition the issue back to Open and then change the Resolution to Unresolved then transition the issue back to the state you were in prior to changing it to Open.

Tim Willmann February 10, 2023

sorry...you don't have to change the resolution.  Changing it to Open automatically changes it to unresolved.

John Carroll September 25, 2023

Actually, that does not work on our installation and it seems many other installations.  I had accidentally changed a ticket to Abandoned as a Duplicate, and changing it back to Open does not reset the Resolution, per many of the comments above, especially that from Mark Newell.  I ave tried all of the solutions proposed that I have the permissions to try (I can't create a new Resolution) and none seem to ix the problem.  This seems to be a serious flaw in the workflow process.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer