How to change column new tickets assign to

Rebecca Morris December 1, 2022

When a new ticket is created it automatically assigns to 'Backlog' column but I want it to go in my 'New' Column - how do I change the workflow?

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2022

Hi @Rebecca Morris , welcome to the community.

The column that a newly Created issue appears in is driven by the initial workflow status associated with the create action. If you look at your workflow, this will become obvious. The statuses of your workflow map to your board columns under board settings. Generally speaking, if you have a backlog status, and that is your initial status, then you want newly created issues to show up in your backlog. This allows you to manage your backlog and decide which issues are moved into the kanban or scrum board to be worked on. Now to your specific issue, it seems that you have backlog and a new Statuses. Both of these appear to me to be an initial status and maybe you don't need both? Could you please share a screenshot of your workflow and describe more specifically what you would like that workflow look like?

But instead of Backlog I want it to go to 'New Ticket'

We need both but I want backlog to be a column that we put things in manually and anything new appears in the 'New Ticket' column to be addressed in a call and then manually allocated to a column

But instead of Backlog I want it to go to 'New Ticket'

Web capture_1-12-2022_141531_dwpdigital.atlassian.net.jpeg

We need both but I want backlog to be a column that we put things in manually and anything new appears in the 'New Ticket' column to be addressed in a call and then manually allocated to a column

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2022

OK so if you want New Ticket to be the initial status then you need to change your workflow such that the Create transition goes to New Ticket. Now, the question is where do you want New Ticket and Backlog issues to appear on your board? Do you want both to appear in the Backlog or do you want one of them to appear in the main kanban view, or maybe you don't want New Ticket to be map to any column? In any event, whatever your requirement is, you want to edit the board settings in the columns view and map the statuses as you wish them to appear on your boards.

One final, and likely obvious note, regarding changing the workflow do you want to ensure that this is not a sheared workflow otherwise you will be impacting other projects.

My question is, how do I change the workflow so the create transition goes to the 'New Ticket'?

I want both to appear on the board under their own columns

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2022

1. Click on the arrow between the circle and the Backlog lozenge.

2. Click and hold on the little dot at the end of that arrow.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 10.29.53 AM.png

3. Drag that arrow end to the New Ticket Status lozenge.

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Rebecca Morris December 5, 2022

I am unable to move the arrow :(

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2022

Hmmm, but you can edit other aspects of the workflow? Do you get an error? Can you try making a copy of the workflow and edit the copy?

I'm on 'Software Simplified Workflow' could this be why? I can add columns & statuses via. the Board settings

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2022

Yes

So if you want to make this change, then you're going to want to make a copy of the workflow and edit it and then re-associate this new workflow. Please note this will move you out of software, simplified workflow, which may not be what you want. You can always try it and then revert back to the previous workflow.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2022

with everything we have discussed here, I would rewind a bit and ask myself why I am choosing to make this change. It is a bit abnormal, IMO. Looking at all of the statuses that you have leads me to believe that the workflow is more complex than maybe it needs to be. The fact that you have five different "to do" statuses is a bit of a flag for me.

Apologies, I'm so new and have no idea how I would do this - my best bet might be to raise an issue through the Service Desk :/ 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2022

No apologies necessary. I would suggest chatting with your Org admin to help you with this. By doing so, you will be able to discuss with them the details of what your team needs and the admin can consider what the best option is and help you solve your needs.

Like Rebecca Morris likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events