How to change Issues Filters in JIRA project??

Paul Fenton April 30, 2018

I'm using the cloud version.

When clicking on the Issues menu item (within a project), there are no options to add new filters (or change existing ones).

I am full admin.

Please help me understand how to change these within a project for all project users.

4 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2018

@Paul Fenton,

if your goal is to share a filter you create with others you simply create the filter and edit the permissions to share with a group or even all logged in users. This will make the filter “available” to others. However, it does not automatically show in others list of filters. If others want that to happen they must search for the filter and favorite it. The list of filters view, save for the JIra default list, is unique to and controlled by the user.

0 votes

I want to "manage" the list of available filters for all project users:

Capture.JPG

Add new filters, or remove some of these ones...

Mitchell Davison [EY] April 30, 2018

Hi Paul,

I don’t believe it is possible to change this list of filters, as these are the default filters that come with any project. To have a custom filter and share this with users you will need to use the instructions Alana sent across.

There is an open ticket for this that you can vote for:

https://jira.atlassian.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/CLOUD-10026

Marios Chrysovergis November 12, 2019

did anyone manage to solve this?

Eric March 20, 2022

Doesn't look like it.  In addition, https://jira.atlassian.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/CLOUD-10026 is either not working or doesn't appear to be allowing comments anymore.

I find it ironic that Jira is infinitely configurable and yet still has the "Projects -> Filters" hard coded.

IMHO, if the Projects -> Filters are not made configurable, then they should be removed since it cause confusion with users when they select "Projects -> Open issues" and the fields are the hard-coded defaults that Jira ships with instead of the "Filters -> Open issues" that are the result of the customised "Go to advanced search" option of "Projects -> Open issues".

Zach Minot April 28, 2022

This is really sad and needs to be fixed. It doesn't make any sense the way it is now. Either remove the Issues tab from Projects and force users to go to Filters, or just add Filters to the Projects tab...

0 votes
Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2018

hi @Paul Fenton,

hope below documents help you with your issue. 

Thanks Alana, I have seen this info, but it does not help me define the available filters for Issues in my project! see below

Cory Dearing April 25, 2020

I second this.  I want to create filters for a project. I can't even select my own filters when viewing the project issues filter drop down... ???

Cory Dearing April 25, 2020

I have several filters, and I have shared them.  BUT, I can't figure out how to open them while we are in our weekly issues review.  This should be a very easy task to perform.  It's unlikely the Atlassian default issues filters will be adequate...  That list should be really easy to edit for every project.

Like Pete Davis likes this
Pete Davis November 4, 2021

The way i have solved this is to add a Shortcut to the main project submenu to the saved filter 

Like Eric likes this
0 votes
Mitchell Davison [EY] April 30, 2018

Hi Paul,

I’m not certain what you’re trying to achieve here. You can  create and share Filters based around your project by creating them from the Issue Navigator (Issues > Search for Issues) and selecting only the project that you’re interested in. Where do you want to use these Filters?

I want my filters to be available to other project users when clicking on the Issues menu in the project of interest.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer