How to build automation to have child issues inherit the component in the epic?

michelle.purcell April 10, 2023

I want to create automation that any stories, tasks or sub-tasks inherit the component from the epic when a new issue is created.  I created the automation below but when testing it states no actions performed and the component from the parent epic was not added to the task. 

Jira 1 - automation for component.jpgJira 2 - automation for component.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2023

Hi @michelle.purcell 

The branch you are using is assuming the trigger issue is an epic.  That does not seem to be what you want, correct?

Instead you want a rule which can handle the different issue types.  Perhaps more like this:

• trigger: issue created
  • action: re-fetch issue (It is a good idea to add this when using the Issue Create trigger.  That one can fire so quickly that the data is not yet available for the rule to use.)
  • if/else condition:
    • condition: issue type is story, task, or bug
    • condition: epic link is not empty
    • action: edit issue fields to copy components from the epic
  • else/if
    • condition: issue type is subtask
    • action: edit issue fields to copy components from the parent  (The assumption is that the parent story/task/bug already has the data from the epic.)

You may be able to collapse this rule down to always copy from parent (for all issue types).  I recommend getting something to work first and then experimenting to improve the rule.

Kind regards,
Bill

michelle.purcell April 11, 2023

Good Morning @Bill Sheboy 

I like where this was going, unfortunately epic link was not available, but i was able to use related issue condition.  Thank you so much for your help. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2023

Hi @michelle.purcell 

What is the question here?

Is the above not working?

Thanks,
KGM

michelle.purcell April 10, 2023

I updated the question.  The audit log shows that no action was performed and it states branch rule/related issues.  No related issues that have been updated since the last time this rule executed could be found.  I have "only include issues that have  changed since the last time this rule executed" checked 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events