How to best use Jira for HR Onboarding?

Michael Lauricella April 24, 2023

Looking to use Jira for HR onboarding and trying to figure out the best approach.  Curious who may have done this and have this sorted with a great pattern to follow? 

3 answers

1 vote
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2023

Hello @Michael Lauricella ! Welcome to the Atlassian community!

You marked down "Jira Software Cloud" but I wonder if you're better served by using Jira Service Management.  JSM has templates for HR projects that may accommodate onboarding and other activities

0 votes
Prabhu Palanisamy _Onward_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 20, 2023

HI @Michael Lauricella - We are currently building an application OnRamp, that simplifies Employee Onboarding and Offboarding. We are currently previewing to select users to get feedback. We'd love to show it to you and get your feedback.

0 votes
Olha Yevdokymova_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 30, 2023

Hello @Michael Lauricella 

I am also interested in the field of streamlining such repetitive processes in Jira.

Here are some key points on how to optimize Jira employee onboarding:

1. Identify the onboarding process: Define the steps involved in your onboarding process, from pre-onboarding to in-team communication, and identify the tasks that need to be completed at each stage.
  2. Use Jira automation: Use Jira automation to automatically create tasks and trigger workflows based on specific events, such as form submissions or task completion. In my team we use add-on for that because HR is not really technical team member. For the Automation purpose we use Business Process Manager which allows seamless transition of issues from person to person with approval possibility. You can add checklists and action items and monitor the submission process in the reports.
  3. Utilize Forms: For example you may also need an add-on for collecting forms as you are not JSM users. In my team we are using Smart Jira Forms for pre-onboarding forms. With this add-on, you can easily generate a public URL for your form and share it with external applicants to fill out. You can also add conditional logic to make the form dynamic and adapt to your specific needs. After the form submission the issue can be created automaticallywith form fields mapping over Jira issue fields.
  4. Collect feedback: Solicit feedback from new hires on their onboarding experience to identify areas for improvement and make adjustments to the process as needed.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events