How to avoid selecting users which have no project permission when creating issue

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2022

Dear all,

We are facing on a wierd issue when creating tickets.

We have a custom user picker fields which is named CC/User.

Let say that user A have full access to Poject A and no access to project B

Now we create a ticket in Project B
Then we sart to fill up the cc user field which shows in the list User A that we select
Then when ticket is created User A is visible in CC user field

But what is  wierd in this behaviour is that as User A have no rights on Project B why I can select that user from the User picker field when I create it for Project B ?

This makes huge confusion for the rest of the ticket processing.

Any idea how to avoid having only selected project users in the piker list ?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022

There are several types of user-picker field in Jira, and they select from the user-base differently.  Assignee, reporter and watchers for example, all work of permissions 

User-picker custom fields have their own configuration within their contexts.  By default, they simply list all active users in the system, they don't look at any data other than "exists and not flagged inactive"

But if you go to Admin -> Issues -> Custom fields -> your user picker -> edit context/defaults, you'll see an option for "filtering".  

This lets you set one or many filters that narrow down the selection.  As you're looking at project access, I would take a guess that you probably want to say something like "project role = users" (or, more specifically, a set of filters that say "all the roles that can see issues in the current project"

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2022

Dear @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

if I set this filter as you mentionned "project role = users" I guess it will list only users which are in role users, but in my case I need to get all users which have permission to project from basic permission to upper permission

So the filter should stated that it should list users which have at least browse permission but should list other users with upper permission level

how to set that filter then ?

regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2022

It's actually horribly complex to work out permissions for a project/user combination - it's now the very first thing you look at when you're trying to performance-tune a Jira system.  It was in second place until Jira 8.0 did a lot to help with the old first place.

The user-picker field would be a performance nightmare if it were selecting users by the permissions they have in the current project, and it could be horribly confusing for your users (why can I select Kevin, Bob and Stuart on this issue, but I'm stuck with Kyle on the next one?)

You'll need to cross reference your roles and groups with the permission scheme for each project you want to use the 

Hopefully, you've standardised as much as possible - the ideal is as few permission schemes as possible, all using project roles rather than groups or individuals, so it's not too hard to trace back "group X and user Y are in role Z, and role Z has "upper" access", so they should appear in this user-picker.

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- how scheme and project user role are perfectly set.

I am just asking what could be the combiation logic for such filter to list all users which have at least user role ?

User which have for instance developper role , should be listed as well as they necessary have the basic user role as well

regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

Yep, I've drifted away from "how" there. 

But it's what I said earlier - go to Admin -> Issues -> Custom fields -> your user picker -> edit context/defaults, you'll see an option for "filtering".  This will let you add roles and groups to the filter.

So you can say "this picker should list the users who are:

• in the role of developer (whether it's because they are named in the role, or are part of a group named in the role)
  • in the group X
  • in the role of tester

etc" - you can add many selection rules to this.

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2022

got it

Suggest an answer