How to avoid losing issue links when converting an issue type

anarcon GmbH January 7, 2021

Hi there,

We are currently working on some migration projects and want to standardize our configuration as best as possible. We soon migrate a project where we will change some issues in terms of issue types. The migration is performed with the Configuration Manager.

Our issue type hierarchy: Theme - Epic - Story - Task - Sub-Task

In our migration project, the issue types should be moved to one level higher. In concrete terms, this means that Epics become Themes and Stories become Epics etc. Unfortunately, as soon as you convert an Epic to a Theme, all of the linked issues are lost. Is there a way (also with an add-on like Scriptrunner or Automations) to avoid this behavior? Unfortunately, it is not possible to link the issues individually and manually again because we are talking about more than 10,000 issues.

I look forward to your ideas.

Kind regards,

Anna

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

Hi @anarcon GmbH

This seems like a tall order and probably won't be easy! The only suggest I really have is to add another connection between the issues using the Linked Issues function. You would even add some new Link Types like is a sub-task of or is an Epic of, etc. to help once converted. 

Converting the issue types should not affect the linked issues function, but I would test that out first. Then after converted, you could go back and add them as actual sub-tasks or child of Epic, etc. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events