How to automatically create subtasks triggered by multiple components?

Miriam Callahan May 18, 2023

Hello - I would like an option to trigger the automatic creation of subtasks if there are multiple components in an Issue / Story. I see some other conditional logic to choose from on the component field, but not a count condition for more than 1..

It would be very good if each subtask could include the name of the component also as a nice to have. 

Anyone know if there is a way of setting this up? 

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2023

Hello @Miriam Callahan and welcome!

I am not sure what your exact use case is, but I think you could achieve your goal with the following automation rule:

Automation_-_Jira.png

Automation_-_Jira-2.pngAutomation_-_Jira-3.pngAutomation_-_Jira-4.png

This rule gets triggered if a new component has been added to an issue. Then, it checks if there is more than one component set on the issue. If so, it creates a new sub-task for every component assigned, where the name of the sub-task is the name of the component.

Hope this helps!

Hi Michel,

Thanks so much I have lots to try out here... Appreciate this quick response!

Just a question on the above,, If Someone were to set up an Issue or Story with multiple components initially would the subtasks be created from that first creation?

As opposed to the Issue / Story being set up with one component  originally and then once a new component is added the rule being triggered...

I definitely have plenty to work with in your response so thanks again for that! :)

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2023

@Miriam Callahan

If Someone were to set up an Issue or Story with multiple components initially would the subtasks be created from that first creation?

Yes, because the trigger "Value changes for" fires for newly created issues as well.

Thanks very much again appreciate that!! 

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2023

@Miriam Callahan If it works, please consider accepting the answer, maybe it is helpful for others as well. Thank you!

Miriam Callahan May 21, 2023

Thank you again Michel this really helped! I just accepted your answer there! :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events