How to automatically change the status of a task if the status of all blocking tasks has changed

Vladimir Matveev December 17, 2020

My task is in the "Stuck" status and cannot be started (transferred to the "To Do" status) until all tasks blocking my task (which are indicated in the "Linked issues / is blocked by..." lines in my task) are completed ... After all blocking tasks are completed (they will be transferred to the "Done" status), it is necessary for the status of my task to be changed from "Stuck" to "To Do"

How do I set up this automation correctly?

2 answers

1 vote
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2020

Hi @Vladimir Matveev 

I'm pretty certain this can be done through automation.  Having looked briefly, I think the below (amended for your own status names) would fit what you need:

image.png

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2020

Hi @Liam Green ,

Perfect.

Hi @Liam Green 

Maybe I poorly explained my problem ... Once again:
My task is in a "Stuck" status because several other tasks that are linked to my task and are blocking it have not completed.
When all of these linked tasks have been completed (their status will change to "Done"), the status of my task should automatically change to "To Do".

Explain to me, please, in your automation to which of the tasks (to the main task or to the blocking tasks) does each step refer to?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 24, 2020

The example above refers to issues that are affected by the stuck issues.
This does not refer to the issues that are actually stuck.

You can see this nicely as the entry point is the trigger "When: Issue transitioned TO Done". If this "event occurs" then Automation will act upon the linked issue.
Cosmetic thing in the screenshot: The transition is intended to change to "To Do". "Open", as shown, is also common but not your status name actually - like I said, minor but probably the source for irritation.

You could test if it works.
I have seen scenarios where it was enough that one issue which were blocking "the issue in stuck status" came to done whereas it is required that all issues would have come to done.
I cannot see this from the rule itself - therefore a test would be a good idea.

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2020

Hi @Vladimir Matveev ,

May be you need Automation for Jira Plugin.

We previously done based on Epic Status based on Linked Stories statuses.

1. If all stories are closed  then Epic must close

2. If at least one  Story status set to "In Progress" epic status automatically changed "In Progress".

Like these we created automation rules.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215460/automation-for-jira-server 

I'm not sure about , issues linked using "Links". 

Give a try.

Thanks,

Anvesh.

Hi Anvesh!

Thank you for your answer.

But:

1. Our Jira (cloud) subscription includes all automation features. I don't think I need to buy anything else...

2. It seems to me that your answer is about a slightly different situation - tasks in one Epic, and not tasks linked by a link "is blocked by.."

But thanks anyway

Vladimir

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events