How to automatically add multiple Custom fields in every project that is NEWLY created?

Rhia Rodriguez September 19, 2020

I have 5-10 Custom fields created and I want this to be AUTOMATICALLY added in every NEW Classic/Next Gen projects created since monthly there are new projects created in JIRA for different clients.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2020

@Rhia Rodriguez Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

This is definitely possible. If you admin, you can use existing fields, issue types and screen schema to be shared between projects. For this you need to understand some basic premise of Jira.

Jira has fields which are placed inside some screens. Now the behaviour of fields is controlled by field configuration. Later you map field configuration against issue type which is called 'Field configuration scheme'. On side, screen are mapped on basis of operation (Create, view, edit) in screen scheme, which is also mapped to Issue type to create 'Issue Type screen scheme'.

When we create project in Jira, we choose Field Configuration Scheme and Issue Type Screen Scheme to use. This way fields are visible in projects.

Here is a link to page with diagram which explain this in better way - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/project-screens-schemes-and-fields-938847220.html

Also you read what happen when we create project in jira on this page - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/create-a-new-project/

Overall, Jira have schemes which define behaviour of various items like, fields, screen, workflow, notification which projects can share.

I hope this helps.

Pavel V
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2020

That's right! Let me just add that this functionality is available for Classic projects only. Next Gen projects are independent and do not allow sharing custom fields.

Rhia Rodriguez September 24, 2020

Hi @DPKJ @Pavel V is there a way to do this for Next Get projects or any other alternative way?

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2020

@Rhia Rodriguez I need to validate this, actually lot of new feature are coming up in next-gen pretty rapidly so it is hard to say where we are currently.

Rhia Rodriguez September 25, 2020

@DPKJ Thank you for the inputs. I really appreciate it. Hope to get an update also for the next-gen projects.

0 votes
Shrikant Wagh July 6, 2021

You can  create the default screen scheme and field configurations and assign that screen scheme for the new project you created. That will enable you to add all of those fields you need for the issue type defined in the screen scheme.

Suggest an answer