How to automate labeling based on a custom field selection?

Brittany Cohen May 10, 2021

If a user selects product A, I'd like a label to get created as "ABC-Product A." This will allow me to filter for products from the backlog view in a team-managed project.  

2 answers

3 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

I would use Automation for this. It should be straightforward and something like this...

trigger - issue  updated

condition - if/else and check for each value of the field then use the action to add label

Dylan Kogut June 17, 2022

Hi @Jack Brickey 

I currently have the above setup however is there any way to Add a label of whatever the custom field's text is? If someone had the label as a checkbox list of user personas say "Salesman", how can I get the label added with text "Salesman" to the issue? 

Thanks

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

I’m currently without Internet so can’t really test things out on my smart phone. Have you tried just using an action to edit the issue and copy field value of the custom field?

Dylan Kogut June 21, 2022

I did actually successfully do that however it lead to another dead end. 

Now the labels take awhile to even show up in a search of the labels, and when they do they are not listed as an option and selecting them does not work. It claims the filter is applied, then nothing happens, and viewing the labels actually shows they are still all applied. 

Let me show you:

You can see the number of tags on this test issue. In the list of labels, "Dylan" is not present, until you search for it.

image.png

When I do search for it, it appears:

image.png

Upon selecting it, and hitting apply, it says filter applied but none of the epics are filtered (look at the numbers in the swimlanes, the epics themselves are censored)

image (2).png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2022

Hi @Dylan Kogut ,

I'm trying to follow you here. First, the label will be added immediately upon the rule being successful. In your first image the last value is "CICD" which will precede "Dylan" given it is alphabetical. Now it may be that the label doesn't appear until the page is reloaded. The fact that you can search and find suggests it is there. I'm unsure how your board is constructed and what you might expect to see. You mention Epics are not filtered which I don't follow. Let me explain what should occur by example...

Assume:

• I have 10 issues displayed on the board
  • None of the issues has "Dylan" as a label

Action:

• I add "Dylan" as a label to one of the ten issues on my board
  • I then filter on labels = Dylan

Expected result --> only the one issue will now be displayed

Bottom line here is that if the automations are getting added as you sought in the original post then I believe that what now remains is to understand how the filtering is working and align with your expectations.

If I can further assist please let me know.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2021

Hello @Brittany Cohen 

Welcome to the community.

Have you looked at creating an Automation rule for this?

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/

Suggest an answer