How to automate if only a specific component was added

Grady May 19, 2023

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an automation for our workflow so that whenever an issue is assigned to our board (determined by component), it is assigned to me to review, prioritize, and ensure requirements are set.

The issue is that without diving into advanced automation syntax, the best we can do is to trigger when a component is changed and includes our team's component. That means that if another component is added on, it is reassigned to me despite having the same team component the whole time.

What I'm trying to do is find a way to compare the prior component value to see if only our team component was added (rather than just any).

Below is the current expanded workflow and what I've tried for this comparison so far. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong with the syntax. I found the {{fieldChange.from}} property but unsure how to use it.

Thank you for your help.

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 2.53.21 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-05-19 at 2.53.30 PM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

Hello @Grady 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

You can determine if your component was added by checking if it was not present before the change and is present after the change. In this example the component value I'm checking for is Component1.

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 3.25.41 PM.png

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2023

@Trudy Claspill  - this seems like a good approach. The only possible gotcha is that if a the component name the user wants to track is a substring of other components, they risk false positives.

ie: the component they want to monitor is “foo” - the pre/post check would also fire off a conponent “foobar” was added.

CCM

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

You can add commas to delineate the values of each Component. This will look for an exact match on the component named "Component". If "Component" is contained within the name of another component, that will not match these comparisons.

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 3.52.59 PM.png

Grady May 22, 2023

Trudy and Craig, thank you both for taking the time to help.

I've implemented the last solution (both compare two values) and it works for the base case.

The problem that remains is component specificity. Unfortunately, the string is found in a number of other components which can be tacked on. So even after the main team component is added, an additional component would reassign it to me.

On the flip side, if one of those additional components is added as the first component (and not the team component), it too is assigned to me.

Any thoughts?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2023

Hello @Grady 

Can you show us your current rule?

Also, can you walk us through a specific scenario with the specific Component values that are being added that results in you being reassigned the issue when another similar component is added? The last suggestion I provided, adding the commas, should account for what you described.

Like Kelly Arrey likes this
Grady May 22, 2023

Hey @Trudy Claspill, my mistake. I was referencing the wrong image. Now that I filled it out exactly as you had it in the second, it works flawlessly! Thank you for all your help.

Like Kelly Arrey likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events