How to automate emailing of release notes

Pavel Karamishev November 11, 2018

Hi guys,

I'm using Automation for Jira addon and I would like to automate the following process: when the developers release a new version, the product team receives an email with release notes.

It worth automating because we usually restructure & filter release notes generated by Jira (to remove some technical stuff + subtasks), so there are a lot of manual steps.

I didn't find a way to achieve it using Automation for Jira, the best thing I could do right now is:

1. Create a trigger for version release
  2. For each issue in the version, call IFTTT webhook to accept the issue and publish content to a spreadsheet
  3. Create proper release notes using spreadsheet magic & manually send them

Please, could you advise any better way to achieve the goal? Or maybe there is something to consider adding into the addon? Basically, I need either a way to assign all results of JQL to some variable multiple times within one rule.

Thanks,
Pavel

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Harwood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2018

Hi Pavel,

Are you using cloud or server? In server, it is possible by branching on the Issue fixed by this release (or some jql if you wanted to filter out issues), and select the "process issues in bulk option.

On this branch you can then use the {{issues}} smart value to send emails with the issues, for example.

These issues were fixes:

<table>

{{#issues}}

<tr>

<td>{{key}}</td>

<td>{{summary}}</td>

</tr>

{{/}}

</table>

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 8.19.59 am.pngThanks,

Scott.

Pavel Karamishev November 12, 2018

Hi Scott,

Thanks for such a great answer, that's precisely what I was looking for. However, I use Jira Cloud, so I hope that someday this option will be available here too :)

Meanwhile, I simplified the process a bit by the following workflow:

1. Create a task for each section of the release notes
  2. Link corresponding group of issues to each task
  3. Iterate through the created issues and use {{issuelinks}} property to form the content of the email

I faced a problem that {{issuelinks}} property doesn't appear in {{createdIssues}} macro even if I update issue data for each created issue, but I workarounded it by using webhooks.

I hope it will help someone facing the same difficulties.

Thanks,
Pavel

0 votes
Nicholas Gertz April 22, 2021

Hi @Scott Harwood 

I'm using cloud and I would like to have the same release notes view in the e-mail as I can create and export in Jira (HTML or Markdown).

Do you have an idea?

Cheers,
Nicholas

Anand Inamdar_Amoeboids
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2021

Hi @Nicholas Gertz

You may want to look at the Automated release notes that my team has developed & continues to enhance. It offers a WYSWYG release notes builder that is robust & efficient.

For the cloud version, there is free version of the app as well.

Best,
Anand

Suggest an answer