How to automate a certain task when the deadline is reached?

Wiliam Joaquim June 22, 2021

I have a task that I need to automate, when the deadline is reached, I want to move the card to a certain frame. I didn't find anything ready in the automation part. I also didn't find what looks for the deadline in smart values.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2021

Hi @Wiliam Joaquim

have you thought about a scheduled automation rule? Look for overdue issues with a JQL search and let it execute once a day for example and let the returned issue be transitioned to a different status or whatever else you want to do with it. :)

Best, Max

Which JQL expression would you use? I didn't find it in the documentation.

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2021

Do you use the Due Date field in issues? If yes, simply use the JQL query "duedate < now()" for the overdue part. I would also reduce it further to only target specific projects. :) If you want to dive deeper into JQL and how to search for issues I recommend the following links:

thanks, it worked perfectly

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2021

You're welcome, Wiliam! :) Have fun exploring Jira!

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2021

Hi William,

You can use Automation for Jira with a Scheduled trigger that runs each day. When the due date (or whatever date field you are using) hits today's date, it will execute the action. 

Sorry, I'm new to this world of Jira, could you give me a better example of how I could automate this rule?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2021

Here's some more information to help get you started: 

There are two types of automation:

• Global: In the Free version, you get 100 executions per product, per month
  • Project: In all versions, you get unlimited executions per month

Automation Basics: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, go to Jira Settings > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

For more on using Automation For Jira see these help pages.

Jira Automation Template Library to help get you started quickly:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/labels/all/customLabelId/1453

Suggest an answer