How to auto-link Confluence article to Jira Issue

Bozhidar Zhelev March 31, 2021

We receive regularly Jira issues (incidents) with title "Something, something CPU Utilization over 90%". Let's say we monitor some servers.

I prepared an article how to remediate that called "How to remediate CPU Utilization alarms". The Confluence article is in the same project where the issues are.

Whenever we receive such Jira issue the "knowledge article" field in Jira displays 3 relevant articles. I don't know by what criteria it determines which article is relevant but this random list of 3 articles does not show me what I need.

What I want is to pinpoint the specific Confluence article I wrote to the specific Jira issue (defined by name pattern) so that every time such issue is raised, the article how to remediate it is automatically linked and shown on it.

So an agent on shift (when he receives the issue and assigns it to himself) upon opening will have a guide displayed how to resolve the issue.

The only way I managed to do that is to manually click on the chain icon and link the article myself... Which is manual work.

How can I make this to happen automatically?

1 answer

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2021

Hi @Bozhidar Zhelev , I wouldn't call this a good solution, but it's an idea until something better is proposed!

How about using the new Cloud automation to find the relevant articles with JQL and add a comment with the link to the article?  Ideally, you'd use the built in linking feature to link the Jira issue to the Confluence page, but I don't think that's available in the actions list (yet?)

Here's a sample automation rule:

automation.png

Hope this helps for now or it leads to a better idea!

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

Bozhidar Zhelev March 31, 2021

This is precisely what we did.

It would be good to actually add the "link Confluence article" action in the automation.

It doesn't make sense to have the functionality to link to Issues and Confluence articles but support only 50% of that in Automation... Since listing the article as linked looks way better in the ticket than just another comment that is usually buried. :)

Either way! Thanks for the help... It's a viable workaround.

Like Dave W likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events