How to auto change the assignee when an issue moves from "In-Progress" to "Review"

shankhanath raychoudhuri May 7, 2023

Hi,

I have a team managed JIRA board. I want to auto change the assignee when an issue (task) moves from "In Progress" to "Review". I have created a custom field which has the name of the person that needs to be assigned to the issue when it moves to "Review". What's the way to do it?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2023

Hi @shankhanath raychoudhuri and welcome to the Community!

To be honest, it would be much easier to get this done if you would use a company managed project. Company managed workflows allow you to define a screen that pops up on a workflow transition and that would allow you to let the user simply select the new assignee.

Based on the setup you are trying to develop in a team managed project, it could be technically possible to make this work. But I would recommend you to set up a people custom field to select the user from. Maybe that's what you have, but the way you phrased your question may suggest you have a text field with the name of the user and that won't work.

Assuming you do have a people field in place, you should be able to use the Assign issue action with the option Smart value selected. That smart value should have the name of your custom field: {{custom field}}

Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 11.31.43.png

Hope this helps!

Hi @Walter Buggenhout 

Thanks a ton. This works just like I wanted.

Now, if I move the issue back from "Review" to "In Progress", I would want the assignee to automatically change to the previous assignee. I tried creating a similar rule and changed the 'Assign the issue to" value to " Another field value or comment" and selected "Previous assignee" from the " Value to use" field. However, it did not work. What am I missing?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2023

I have just tried this myself with the following setup:

Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 12.33.10.png

Just worked as expected. I did make sure to verify that the issue I tested with was indeed assigned and assigned to someone else before making the transition to the review status in my example.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2023

Maybe worth mentioning that I noticed a slight delay before the assignment to the previous assignee was displayed. This is - I reckon - because the automation rule runs asynchronously and kicks in after the issue is updated to the previous status.

Thanks again @Walter Buggenhout . I guess you are right - It takes a few seconds for the automation to kick in.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events