How to assign an API token the permission to create / edit / read issues on jira

muhammad May 9, 2023

Hi,

I'm trying to create an issues on jira platform using a created API Token but getting error of unauthorized access / permission issue.

09.05.2023_15.42.54_REC.png

How can I give my api token the permission to create tickets on jira. I'm talking about these permission specifically, 

read:application-role:jira, read:issue-meta:jira, read:issue-security-level:jira, read:issue.vote:jira, read:issue.changelog:jira, read:avatar:jira, read:issue:jira, read:status:jira, read:user:jira, read:field-configuration:jira, read:issue-event:jira, write:issue:jira, write:comment:jira, write:comment.property:jira, write:attachment:jira 

Because previously I was able to create and manage all issues on jira, but now with a new account I just forget from where in the jira, I need to give these permissions. Please give me step by step option to do this.

Thank you.

3 answers

3 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

Hello @muhammad 

Welcome to the community!

You don't give permissions to the token. The token has the permissions of the user account from which it was created. With that token you can do whatever the user is able to do.

0 votes
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2023

Hello @muhammad 

Firstly, please don't cross-post the same question in multiple groups. You asked this question here already.

If you want people to give you good answers, you need to ask good questions with sufficient information. If you only say "I am using a REST API token" and don't say what TYPE of token or HOW you are using that token, all people can do is guess.

In this thread, you're asking about getting 'permissions' then you've pasted in a set of permission scopes that apply only to OAuth generated tokens. Those OAuth permissions have nothing to do with the permissions of user tokens that I suspect you are using and that @Michel Neeser has advised you of.

0 votes
Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

Hi @muhammad and welcome!

You can generate new API tokens in your Atlassian account here: https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/security/api-tokens

You have to make sure that the account you use for generating the API token has the permissions needed.

muhammad May 9, 2023

Hi @Michel Neeser  I know about api tokens generations, Im saying how and where to give the API token permission to do certain tasks ? 

How to give API the following permissions  ? 

read:application-role:jira, read:issue-meta:jira, read:issue-security-level:jira, read:issue.vote:jira, read:issue.changelog:jira, read:avatar:jira, read:issue:jira, read:status:jira, read:user:jira, read:field-configuration:jira, read:issue-event:jira, write:issue:jira, write:comment:jira, write:comment.property:jira, write:attachment:jira 

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2023

@muhammad I updated my answer above a few minutes ago to clarify it. Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events