How to allow read access to project roles ?

Moosh December 30, 2019

I want to allow some roles in project to have a read only access to role/Right Matrix

( https://myhost//plugins/servlet/project-config/MYPROJECT/roles )

EDIT :  
I don't want to give read-only access to the project.
(I already do that, I have an "Observer" role)

I want to give read-only access to "who has what role in this project".

Or more simply "who is admin of this project? Who is user? Who is developer? Who is …"

3 answers

0 votes
Moosh July 12, 2021

Finnaly my Home made solution is an periodic export of SQL statement result on Jira DB.

SELECT
categorie.cname "Catégorie",
projet.pkey "Code projet" ,
projet.pname "Nom du projet",
CASE
WHEN upper(categorie.cname) Like 'Z -%' or upper(categorie.cname) Like 'Z-%'
THEN 'Catégorie archivée'
WHEN upper(projet.pname) Like 'Z -%' or upper(projet.pname) Like 'Z-%'
THEN 'Projet archivé'
ELSE 'Active'
END as "Statut",
role_user.name "Rôle de l'utilisateur",
utilisateur.display_name "Nom de l'utilisateur",
utilisateur.email_address "Email du membre",
projet.lead "Responsable du projet"
FROM
jira8.project projet
INNER JOIN jira8.projectroleactor pra_user
ON pra_user.pid = projet.id
AND pra_user.roletype = 'atlassian-user-role-actor'

INNER JOIN jira8.cwd_user utilisateur
ON pra_user.roletypeparameter = utilisateur.user_name

LEFT JOIN JIRA8.projectrole role_user
ON pra_user.projectroleid = role_user.id

INNER JOIN jira8.nodeassociation nodecat
ON nodecat.sink_node_entity = 'ProjectCategory'
AND nodecat.association_type = 'ProjectCategory'
AND nodecat.source_node_id = projet.id

INNER JOIN jira8.projectcategory categorie
ON categorie.id = nodecat.sink_node_id
WHERE utilisateur.active = 1
0 votes
Deleted user December 30, 2019

It can be achieved with the help of your JIRA Administrator (Global permission) in 2 steps

1) Create a role called "Ready-Only"
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Managing+Project+Roles#ManagingProjectRoles-Viewingprojectroles

2) Add this role in all permission schemes with : Browse Projects permission only 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Managing+Project+Permissions#ManagingProjectPermissions-CreatingaPermissionScheme

ref: Adding Users, Groups or Roles to a Permission Scheme

Now, Any of the project Administrators can use this role for giving read-only access in the respective project,

Moosh December 30, 2019

sorry,  I've edit my question to be more clear.

I don't want to give read-only access to the project.
(I already do that, I have an "Observer" role)

I want to give read-only access to "who has what role in this project".

Or more simply "who is admin of this project? Who is user? Who is developer? Who is …"

Deleted user December 30, 2019

I don’t think, there is any way in JIRA to know this, as Users and Roles option comes under Administrator permission,

If you have 100s of people in a project ,this will become a maintenance nightmare in JIRA

If you are using Crowd (for User management) and Confluence ( for Collaboration), I can suggest a simple workaround

1) Create Crowd user Group for each role in a project

1. <Category>_<PROJECT>_<Role>

XYZ_PROJ1_Admins, XYZ_PROJ1_Devlopers ,XYZ_PROJ1_Observer etc

2) Add that respective groups in respective role of the JIRA project(s).

3) Create a Confluence page in public space which has read access to all &  Insert ‘User List’ Macro to publish the members in all the groups in tabular format against project name/key.

Above steps are one time activity whenever new project is created.

Whenever required, you have to add/remove users via Crowd, not via JIRA

PROS: The data will be live based on the user directory sync interval.

Same group can be applied for multiple projects.. so that any new person joined/left, you do not need to go to every project and add/remove them one by one.

You can simply add/remove the respective group from the users in crowd in a single window.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2019

Permissions are controlled under project settings / permissions. Read only would be Browse and ensure the user isn’t in a role/group that has any edit function abilities.

Moosh December 30, 2019

Permissions are controlled under project settings / permissions

Yes, with an url like https://myhost/plugins/servlet/project-config/MYPROJECT/roles

I can access as admin but I want  give an readonly access to THIS PAGE for members of MYPROJECT.

Currently In found only how to provide an editor access.

Moosh December 30, 2019

In fact, the  minimal version of my need is.

How, as simple user member of a project, I can know found name of ADMINSITRATORS (not RESPONSABLE) of the current project.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2019

Sorry i'm not following. I don't understand your URL or what "THIS PAGE" means where Jira is concerned. I thought you were asking how to provide read only access to Jira issues in a given project but it seems maybe you are looking for something else?  Maybe this is associated w/ some addon??

Moosh December 30, 2019

"THIS PAGE" means the page  project-config/MYPROJECT/roles
The page where a project admin can edit the  settings / permissions of his project.

I would like give read access to some other users of the project.

---

To explain the full story.

I'm Jira Adminstrator
My Jira instance host hundreds of projects and I would like that for the administration of roles in the projects, the members of the projects make their request directly to the administrators of the projects and not to me.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2019

ok, so that is a different matter altogether. :-)

interesting idea and I would certainly vote for such a feature. AFAIK there is no way of achieving that today but that doesn't mean there isn't a way just that I would be surprised.

Like Moosh likes this
Moosh December 30, 2019

and where is the best place to write a suggestion/proposal ? (and give help to be reviewed, since obviously I cannot be understood the first time :) :) )

Suggest an answer