How to allow non-licensed users to vote/watch issue?

Josh Martin May 15, 2019

We have a small team of 8 who use Jira Software.  We would like to create transparency between what our department is currently working on and our end users in our organization.

We want them to be able to not only see issues we're working on, but we'd like for them to be able to watch or vote on the issue as well. For example, we have a bug kanban board.  Our end users look at this board to see if a bug they're experiencing has already been reported.  If it has, it would be nice if they could add themselves to the watch list so they'll get updates about that bug.

Is there any way to set this up so we don't have to pay for additional licenses? It seems silly to pay for licenses for users when they're literally only going to be able to use two features.

Is this possible at all?

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2019

Josh,

To see issues, one needs to have the browse permissions in the project as well as being in the user role. I do not see a way that your end users can vote/watch issues in a project that they do not have access to.

Victor

2 votes
Amy Leonard July 27, 2020

I find it interesting that Atlassian (who can have unlimited licenses because they don't have to pay themselves) allows all their customers to have an account in their own Jira instance so we can vote on and/or watch issues, but they don't let their customers do the same.  Bummer they can't treat their customers to the same features they like to use!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2020

It's actually a logic problem, not a licence problem.

If you don't record who votes in some way, your voting system is completely open to fraud and gaming.  To prevent that, the question becomes one of identifying who can vote, and as there's a user system with authentication built into it, so you might as well use that.  There are other methods, but why bother when you've got a perfectly good one.

Amy Leonard July 28, 2020

I totally get that, but then Atlassian should allow 'voter/watcher' users to exist without taking up a license...  This is not something new - other tools on the market already do this.

Like # people like this
Tony Potts November 16, 2022

Trello has been doing this for years with free accounts for our end users. never been gamed. We would move this functionality to Jira in a second if we could. that would give us one less end-system out there to worry about.

2 votes
André Pedralho May 22, 2019

I understand it's not currently possible to allow a non-licensed individual to vote/watch an issue, but it's still an interesting feature. I then open an issue suggesting to allow watching an issue using just an e-mail. Let's vote on it:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17864

0 votes
Breno Lima February 8, 2021

Hi guys,

I'm not sure people fully understood the question.

We want to:

• Create a user for our internal customers (employees)
  • Allow them to Vote and Watch issue on Software Projects
  • Not give them a license to be able to only vote and watch

They will be a logged users, but without a license just to watch and vote. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

@Breno Lima , I'm confused. Are you associated w/ Josh, the original poster here? If not then maybe your question should be opened on a new post? Josh accepted the answer previously so I assume his answer was answered.

Breno Lima February 8, 2021

Hi @Jack Brickey

I'm not associated with him. I just have the same demand and I saw people commenting as he wanted to enable not logged users to vote, what was not his demand and, if I understood correctly, neither mine.

I didn't see he had accepted an answer. In this case, as I could understand, the answer is: no, it is not possible, right?

Thanks!

Like Lasse Rørbæk likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

thanks for the additional info Breno. I don't see anything referring to not logged. The question boils down to whether a non-licensed individual can view and vote on issues. The answer is no which I think is what Victor's answer captures and I think this also answers your question but not absolutely sure.

Like Breno Lima likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

The "logged users" here by definition cannot be allowed to watch, vote or look at issues - you have not licenced them, so they can't be let in.

Breno Lima February 9, 2021

First of all, thank you all for the answers! I didn't want to reopen a closed topic and sorry about that!

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , I don't know technically, but I imagined something similar to what we have in the Service Desks, where people doesn't need license to log a ticket and interact with it.

Anyway, thank you all for the attention. 

Like Joscha likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2019

On top of what @Jack Brickey and @Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems] said, note that although you can allow "anonymous" access, this does not work for voters or watchers, because votes and watches have to be recorded as someone - you have to know who the people are for them to be of any use.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2019

@Josh Martin , the title indicates "non-licensed". Individuals that are not licensed (don't have an account) cannot see access your Jira instance at all. If you want them to be able to do anything w/in the application make them a user. Once they are a user you can define the permissions of what the can do in project > permissions. In there you would give them Browse access first and foremost. Optionally, you can then give them 'edit' permissions. There is a specific permission section called "Voters & Watchers".

Suggest an answer