How to allow Jira automation to work when validators that are not valid.

Dominic Mercorelli April 5, 2023

My project is setup as a company-managed project, which I am making a custom workflow. 

Right now when I transition a task to done (note, this transition is set to be allowed from any status), I have a couple of validators that are checked. Which will stop the user from making the transition, if specific data is missing.

This task is linked to an epic, in which I have an automation rule watching a field, so that when the field is changed to a specific value, it will trigger an automation rule to close the task to done. 

It works when all the validators are met. However, the problem is that, if the validators are not met, the automation cannot close out the task. It will just error out and Jira automation would just send me an error stating error transitioning issues. 

I was wondering if there was a way to go around this so that the validators are not checked when automation moves a ticket because when the automation rule kicks in, the task should be transation to done regardless of the validators' state.

What am I missing here? Is this possible? Thank you for the help!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Hello @Dominic Mercorelli 

Validators must be met for a transition to be successful. The only time this is not the case is when the transition is activated by a Trigger from a Development integration.

If you want to be able to circumvent that, you need to set up another Transition path that does not include the Validators. You can restrict access to that Transition using a Condition so that only the user specified as the Actor for the Rule can execute the transition. There is not a default Workflow Conditions to restrict a transition to a specific user, so you would need to get creative in using the restrictions that are available, and consider the Actor you assign to the Rule.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

You can't do this directly, you have to set up complex validators that will understand that it is the automation bypassing validation.  So something like "if user trying to do this = automation-user, then let it pass, otherwise do the rest of the validation"

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events