How to aggregate field values for issues in a sprint using Jira Automation?

Gezim Basha January 13, 2021

I'm interested in calculating aggregate values using Jira Automation, basically sums of field values such as Story Points and Original Estimate/Remaining Estimate of issues that share a Sprint. Ideally, this would be done during sprint planning - therefore I would be able to know the aggregated original estimate for all issues.

As an example, consider Assignee A has selected 3 issues for 'Sprint X', each of them having various 'originalEstimate' values. I would like to know if Assignee A is overloaded in 'Sprint X', i.e. the sum of all 'originalEstimate' in days would be larger than 10 days (2wk sprint).

I've tried doing it this way, but I can clearly see that I cannot edit a created variable on the 'For JQL' loop. I've also tried using a 'Lookup Issues' loop, but that didn't accumulate 'originalEstimate' value.

Any ideas?

Capture.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2021

Hi @Gezim Basha 

You are correct about no edit for created variables, which is why I suggested this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75019

...and, limited access to fields with lookupIssues, which is why I suggested this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75018

...and, created variables have scoping limits.  There is an article describing the use of created variables to preserve the value outside of a branch...but it only works when there is one-and-only-one issue for the branch.  Otherwise shadowing appears to clear the value repeatedly.

What work-arounds could you do instead...

• Use a custom field or entity property to store the sum and repeatedly re-fetch in the rule loop and make additions/updates.  That will definitely be slow, and might lead to some unintended side effects.  (I am guessing the rule engine may not like the re-fetch with the asynchronous processing in a loop.) 
  • Try some dashboard gadgets and filters based upon the current sprint, or use a filter subscription to review the results after planning
  • Or, use the Excel or Google Sheets add-ons to pull the data live, and build your own report to use during sprint planning

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events