How to add status to column

Carl Emmoth January 4, 2019

We have a kanban board and want to add a column. The column needs a new status. I add status in Jira Settings/Statues. The new status doesn't appear in Kanban board settings/Columns. 

How do I add the status to the board?

Anteckning 2019-01-04 102159.jpg

Usually when I need to dig into Jira settings I get super frustrated, angry, stressed out because it's SO complicated to do ANYTHING.

2 answers

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2019

Jira admin is complex because the system is flexible and powerful, there's not a lot that can be done about that - it has to be complex to allow you the power.  (Don't get me wrong though, I am sure the admin could be improved, but I think Atlassian prioritise shiny new stuff over making it better)

A status is not just a field, it is an indication of where an issue is in its workflow.  For a status to be used, it has to be part of the workflow for the issue.  Just adding a status to the global list is not going to do much other than make that status available when you are searching or editing workflows.

Adding the status is a good start, but your next step is to edit the workflow in the project(s) that the board displays, either adding a new step with the new status, or changing an existing step to show the new status.  You will then be able to add the status to a column, and, of course, transition issues into it.

Carl Emmoth January 4, 2019

Actually, I don't know what you are saying. I just did the usual, click on everything and the status appeared!

No knowledge gained! 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2019

Right, so you managed to edit the workflow to add the status, then got it into the board.  Good news!

Carl Emmoth January 9, 2019

The column appeared in our Kanban board but now when I try to move a issue to it, it's impossible. A message appears "Ask your project admin". But I'm the project admin and I don't know what's wrong.

How can there be a column (with a status) in our Kanban board but there can not be any issuses in it and how do I solve it? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2019

It sounds like you did not add a transition from the current status to the new status you added when you edited the workflow.  Or if you did, it is protected with a "condition" that prevents you using it.

Carl Emmoth January 10, 2019

I think all issues goes into all statuses, but maybe I've not connected this status to a transition. How do I add a transition? 

I found this in Jira settings/Workflows/Show project workflow

in progress.jpg

I was able to edit (top right) and add all issues to the new status 

It works now. Knowledged gained! :) 

Like # people like this
1 vote
kavi shree
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2019

Hi @Carl Emmoth

First thing that to understand is

Statuses that are in the project workflows will be appearing in the kanban board columns.(A status must be in your project's workflow)

Now you have added the status to jira not to project.So add the new status to the workflow to make in appear in your kanban board.

Hope its clear :)

Cheers,

Suggest an answer