How to add more context to KanBan swimlanes

jasper.hoevenaars May 10, 2023

Hello!

I'm configuring a KanBan board for the team I'm in. We've defined all phases on the board and the swim lanes are configured per feature. However our over arching structure is:

- Capability

- Feature

- Story

Since the feature field is by default on the card, we would like to make the swim lanes the capability that the story falls under, but we didn't find a straight forward way to do that yet. What would be a way to do this, or otherwise implement the Capability context in our KanBan board?

example.png

In this case, I would like this row/swimlane to show the capability this feature is attached to for example. Or otherwise configure one of the fields on the card to show the capability.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2023

hi @jasper.hoevenaars 

One way for mapping your structure could be

1. Capabilities --> Components
  2. Features --> issue type Epic
  3. Story --> issue type Story

For configuring the Kanban board, you can choose one of the below setups

Setup 1

1. Configre Swimlanes for epics
  2. Add components field to card
  3. configure Quick Filter for each component

Setup 2

1. configure swimlane for each component using JQL
  2. Add Epic field on the card

in both setups you need to make sure that components are configured and we'll populated accross Epics/stories.

This model can be easy to implement if you don't have to many capabilities.

Good Luck and let me know if further elaboration is needed.

Cheers,

Karim

jasper.hoevenaars May 11, 2023

Hey Karim,

Both set ups are worth a try for us! However we have difficulty with the following steps

for Setup 1 step 2: what option should we set as a card component? This is the link to the featurename:

card property.PNG 

However, we want the capability and that is not one of the options.

for putting JQL swimlanes, Do we need to set all capabilities separate? Or is there an option to put one query for all lanes?

Swimlane.PNG

thanks for helping!

Jasper

Like John Funk likes this
Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2023

@jasper.hoevenaars 

Yes, you have to configure a swimlane for each capability. as i explained, it will be easy if you don't have too many capabilities which i believe it is the case. Also it won't need much maintenance if new capabilities are not frequently added.

If you find the proposed model helpful, please mark the answer as accepted so it would help other community members looking for similar approaches.

Cheers,

Karim

jasper.hoevenaars May 12, 2023

@Karim ABO HASHISH , great I'll give that a try. Do you also know if it is possible to add the capability on the card?

Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

hi @jasper.hoevenaars 

I can see form the screenshot that the capability corresponds to a JIRA project. 

The project field is available only in the JQL search and it is not possible to add it to screens or board cards.

Alternatively, you can

1. Set component field or label field with the capability name when a ticket is created within the corresponding project and according to your defined criteria
  2. Bulk update component/label field for historical tickets.
  3. Add the component/label field to the board card.

You can also set the component or label field automatically in the workflow creation post-function to avoid extra overhead for setting the component or label manually during the creation process (this is doable if you have JIRA admin access )

Cheers,

Karim

Like jasper.hoevenaars likes this
Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

hi @jasper.hoevenaars 

If you think the answer was helpful, thanks to mark the answer as accepted, so it would help other community members looking for a solution to a similar scenario.

Cheers,

Karim

Suggest an answer